Blogging Challenge - Day 4

Prompt: Blog about a subject or topic that’s important to you.

This is quite a broad prompt, as in it could mean anything from a serious issue like war to simply a subject at school. I'm going to write about something in between these two extremes: individuality and acceptance.

Everyone should have the right to dress how they want and listen to the music they want and act the way they want, etc., without being judged.

I went into school the other day wearing black jeans and a black shirt, only to be asked 'Since when did you turn goth?' For the record, I'm not goth, but even if I was, what's the problem? Dress how you feel comfortable. Some people like to wear black so they blend in, or because it's generally believed to be a flattering colour. Some people like to wear bright colours because they're happy and they like to stand out. Some people like to have most or all of their skin covered because of cultural or religious beliefs, or just because of their personal beliefs. Some people like to dress in short skirts and low cut tops and figure hugging dresses, because they like to feel sexy or want to flaunt their body. The fact is, none of this is hurting anyone. You don't have to like what somebody is wearing, you just have to accept it. There is not a right or wrong way to look. Style is a personal thing and beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I'm so sick of hearing people ask, 'Why do you listen to rock music, are you emo?' or 'How can you listen to pop music? It's just noise.' No music genre is superior to any other. If you like classical music, good for you. If you listen to screamo, great. If everyone liked the same music as you, just imagine how hard it'd be to get tickets to their gig.

The way you spend your free time is, again, a personal choice. It's down to your beliefs and goals and way of life. Some people like to spend all their time studying because their goal is to get into a good university. Some people like to go to parties and gigs every night because they believe in living in the moment and making memories before you have a spouse and children to look after.

Never let anyone tell you that the way you're living your life is wrong. Everyone is different and that should be embraced. If you don't agree with someone's lifestyle, that's okay. I'm not asking you to dress like them and listen to their music and spend your free time like they do. All I'm asking is that you accept it. Everyone has a reason for their lifestyle. There is no right or wrong way to live your life.
September 6th, 2015 at 09:32pm