Day 2! || What Inspires Me?

What inspires me?

Ah, that's a questions I really wanted to answer. Certain things inspire me a lot, very especifically, if I'm honest. Soundtracks, musicals, characters and their development, books, the weather, people from my daily life... But I'll make a list of three things which inspire me:

#1: Movie Soundtracks

Those that inspire me the most are Hans Zimmer with tracks such as Time from Inception, Underwater March from Pirates of the Caribbean, Alan Menken with Kingdom Dance from Tangled, sometimes loose tracks such as The Winter Soldier, Leaving Hogwarts, Lily's Theme... etc. Most of them I find on 8 Tracks, which is an amazing app that I overuse in my time of writing. Lately I've been going through the Slytherin tag in order to keep writing my HP fic on the works, Drowning, which is a Regulus fic and focuses a lot on the pureblood and Slytherin sides of the War.

#2: Deep Movies with Good Characters

I am talking about depth from my own perspective, so while there's Amelie, Dead Poets Club and the Perfume, there's also Mulan, Maleficent and the Prisioner of Azkaban or the Order of the Phoenix. There movies all have in common one thing: incredible character development. I am a sucker for these and when I see Mulan running towards the army rushing upon the Chinese or Remus watching Sirius fall through the veil as he holds Harry something just snaps in me. It makes me want to make a reader or a watcher feel like me - as if I have lost a part of myself in that scene, too. 

#3: The Perfect Time

There are three perfect settings for me to write: afternoon, as the sun sets and taints everything golden; morning, when everything is quiet and nobody had woken up yet and it is just me and the world; at night, when I can't sleep at all and all I feel is excitement to create something.

#4: Good Quotes

I'm talking about quotes that change something within you. Quotes like in The Perks of Being a Wallflower or Looking For Alaska. One where it comes out and something twists inside of you and all you can think for the rest of your day is how words can bend and break and cause people to change emotionally and psychologically. Words are a miracle of the human race and a beauty of art.

#5: That One Song From Musicals

Yes. Yes, I'm talking Defying Gravity, Epiphany and No One Is Alone. I'm talking about listening to Once Upon a Time from Bare and feeling the draft of a cathedral on your hair and the cold stone on your knees. Again, it fills me up. It's a moment of utter passion and when Elphaba yells that nothing will bring her down, everyone is singing that she's wicked. I'm trembling from just thinking it. Wow.

So that was it. I hope it wasn't too long! Those things truly bring out my most poetic side and I'd love to see this question answered in other people's blogs!
September 7th, 2015 at 09:55pm