A Sour End to a Good Day


Dear Diary: How's Your Week Going?

This weekend started off pretty good. My friend had been looking for a new bed and she was planning on buying the Leirvik bed from Ikea and spray painting it. The original price of the bed (which has raised within the past few months - it used to be just $99 for a queen) is $129, plus you have to buy the midbeam which costs $10 and the slats which costs $50 - bringing the total to $190, AND she'd have to purchase spray paint.

Anyway, it was looking like it would be costly, so I decided to check through Craigslist to see if anyone was giving that bed away or selling on (it's a pretty popular bed and Craigslist has lots of furniture listings towards the end of the month, when people are moving). Luckily, a few people were selling those beds for around $50 in great condition, so we ended up buying and picking one up on Friday (bed frame, mid-beam, and slats) for just $40.

Saturday morning we went to the hardware store and bought five cans of spray paint in this really pretty blue and we spent the afternoon painting the bed and waiting for it to dry. We did the painting at another friend's house because she has a backyard and parking lot area behind her house that we could use. It took us most of the afternoon and then we waited until around 9 that night (when it was dry) to move it into her apartment. So we loaded up my Jeep and then left the other friend's house.

[Sidenote: We'd been in and out of the backyard all afternoon and using my Jeep all day. So at some point, during all the in and out, I guess we forgot to lock the car door and set the alarm - because we were literally parked in a private parking lot, but anyway.]

So once we got into the car, I noticed that my glove compartment was open and there were some stuff (papers, knickknacks) in the front seat. My CD player was on the seat as well and later my friend noticed my car manual/registration and insurance folder was in the backseat. At the time, we thought that either one of us or my boyfriend or my friend's boyfriend had been shuffling through looking for some tools or something and thought nothing of. My friend also found an ice cold can of Arizona Iced Tea in a corner-store bag in the backseat too - again, we just assumed it belonged to one of the guys.

We deliver the bed to my friend's house, unload it, carry it up to her place, drop it off, blah blah blah. We head back to my other friend's house (where we painted) to drop her off and while there, I say to my boyfriend "The trunk's a mess, let me tidy it up before we go." In the trunk we had a bunch of blankets we used to wrapped the bed pieces in (so they wouldn't get scratched when we tied the bed to the roof), a black plastic box that I keep some car stuff (fluids) as well as my laundry detergent, an old backpack that I packed some tools into, and my boyfriend's work bag.

I fold the blankets and place them neatly on top of the plastic storage bin, then I pushed it to the back of the trunk. Then I took backpack with tools and pushed it to the back of the trunk. Then I noticed the trunk was kind of empty. That's when I realized my boyfriend's work bag was gone.

At first we thought we'd dropped it somewhere, but then we realized we hadn't actually opened the trunk all day. Because it's a Jeep (and because we tied the bed to the top of the Jeep), we hadn't needed to open the trunk. If we needed something, we just reached over the back seat and dug up that way.

That's when we started thinking about the mess in the car. So after we checked with everyone, everyone was like, "No, I wasn't in the glove compartment today. No, the Arizona Iced Tea isn't mine," we realized that someone had broken into the car and stole my guy's work bag. :(

There was really not much of importance in his work bag - certainly nothing irreplaceable, but still...It's kind of fucked up. We all talked about it and realized it had to have happened when were parked in my friend's backyard. After we finished painting the bed, we left it out in the back to dry for about two hours while we were in the house and that must have been when it happened.

So we talked to my friend's neighbors, some of which have cameras in their backyards facing the parking lot and a few of them did say they heard people rustling around back there but they assumed it was us (since we'd been out there for most of the day). No one checked their camera feed yet, but...eh. It doesn't actually matter. Like I said, nothing important was stolen and I'm 1000% sure the police won't do anything anyway, because it's such a minor thing, but still... It sucks.

Anyway, I kept the can of Arizona Iced Tea just because they entire thing was so bizarre and I don't want to throw it out.

Image


[Sidenote: Before we realized anything was wrong, I actually picked up the can of juice and was going to ask everyone in the car who bought such a gross flavor, but something else distracted me. Seriously though, Strawberry Kiwi?!]
16 - 26 - 27
September 28th, 2015 at 10:14pm