Simple Costumes: Miss America (America Chavez)

America Chavez
Miss America

ImageImageImage


Miss America's modern costume is one that can easily be replicated with clothing you probably already own and slight alterations.

What You Need, Basics

- Black bottoms
- Blue t-shirt or tank-top
- Light denim jacket
- Red, zip-down hoodie
- Black boots
- Gold hoop earrings

What You Need, Details

- Six gold buttons
- Red and dark blue washable markers (if you want the color to wash out)
- White chalk or white tailor's chalk

Alterations

- Whether you're going with shorts, leggings, or black jeans, the only alteration you'll need to make your bottoms Miss America approved are six gold or brass buttons. You can either buy regular buttons that you can sew on or iron buttons that you can, of course, iron on. Whichever you go with, place them about an inch apart down the side seam of your pants.

- Using the red washable marker and a ruler, you can color in red stripes across both shoulder sections of your jacket. Use the dark blue washable marker and a ruler to create one, lengthwise (from shoulder to wrist) blue stripe on each arm of your jacket. Then use the white chalk to draw in three stars on each blue stripe on the jacket's arm and to color in the white stripes on the shoulders. You can also use the white chalk to draw a star on the center of your blue t-shirt.

Hair and Makeup

America usually wears no makeup or very subtle/natural makeup, so you can do the same - just a little black eyeliner on your lids and the outer corners of your waterline and fill in your eyebrows.

Add some full curls to your hair and a side-part. General consensus says a curling wand is the way to go to get similar styled curls. Here's a couple of videos on how!





Put it all together and you're ready to go!
If you have to buy some clothes to supplement what you already have, try these inexpensive pieces:

Pants: Black Shorts - $3.90 | Black Shorty Shorts - $3.90 | Black Leggings - $3.90 | Black Jeans - $7.90
Denim Jacket: Denim Jacket - $21.00 | Chambray Top - $14.50
Top: T-shirt - $3.90 | Cami/Tank Top - $1.90
Hoodie: Hoodie: $12.90


v Plus Size v

Pants: Black Denim Short - $15.90 | Black Leggings - $5.90 | Black Jeans - $12.90
Top: Cami/Tank Top - $3.90 | T-shirt - $7.90
Hoodie: Red Cardigan - $10.90, and a Red Hat - $6.90
Denim Jacket: Denim Jacket - $31 | Chambray Shirt - $20
October 6th, 2015 at 05:08am