My Interview With ''Writer in the Rye'' and ''Rosi S Phillips''

It's been a really long while before I posted any author interviews but I have a few of them stored up, and thought why not post them? These authors have been waiting for a long while to see their interviews posted, if they haven't forgotten about them.

Before I get to the interview, I'll tell you: a) where you can recommend other authors for me to interview as well as what you'd like to know about them (your own personal questions), and b) where you can find all the links for the interviews. I will always put this reminder here at the start of every interview for all of you to know. So, here's the link.

The first interview of this blog entry is with the amazing Olivia (Writer in the Rye). Here's her profile. You have to check her stories page and especially her story Quiescence. Let's drop a few positive words about this marvelous story and make her want to write more of it, and of course share it with us in mibbaland. ::cute: Come on guys!

Are you interested in knowing what her reaction was when she was informed about the interview? See below! ::cute:

Wha- what. What omg what what what. Haha I am literally shaking right now! This is absolutely crazy - I just can't even right now. As a writer I should have the words to be able to thank you but I'm just so overwhelmed right now. ::hug:

And with this, we reached questioning time. ::coffee:

01. Would you tell us your full name?
Olivia Laurence Upham

02. How long have you been on mibba?
had another account four years back but then I re-read some of my work and decided my readers were probably dying because of how awful it was, so I've had this account for about a year - year and a half now. (And don't plan on ever leaving)

03. Are you posting your writings on other writing sites?
I used to have a fanfiction.net account, but Mibba is by far the best writing website I've tried so this is really my home :)

04. Since when have you been writing?
Since I learned how to hold a pencil! One of my past teachers recently showed me a story I wrote about an earwig who wanted to pursue her dreams of being a journalist in the human world - haha so very early on.

05. Could you tell us a brief summary of your stories.
My most recent is a One-Shot about cancer. My aunt and my grandma were both diagnosed with cancer within the same week so it's pretty rough, so this one-shot is a very brief timeline about a couple where the girl is dealing with cancer. It's called "Resonate" and I honestly cried writing it.

My first story on here is one I used for a contest where you only had three hours to write a story. It's an altered version of an experience my best friend Naomi had. It's called "A Story More Perfect". In the story, Naomi's a quiet girl from a quiet town who meets a boy while on vacation. I like stories with sophisticated, quirky characters and dialogue, and I'd like to think this story has it. The ending is quite adorable, I must admit ^_^

And lastly, my main story is called "Quiescence". It's quite unhealthy how attached I am to it. Honestly. It's definitely my favorite because it's so unique; Evangeline Coleson is a deaf girl who is trying out "regular" high school and falls in love with a hearing boy - Laci Haviland. She lies to Laci and pretends she's not deaf, but when an accident shatters her world it leaves her more suppressed than silenced.

06. What inspired you to write each story?
As said above, "Resonate" was written to get rid of some grief I had over my Aunt and Grandmother who were both diagnosed with cancer (for the second time). It's also written in memory of my other Aunt who recently passes of Ovarian Cancer. "A Story More Perfect" was part of a contest and was written for my best friend, Naomi. She's my number one fan and I wanted to write her her own fairytale. Quiescence was just an idea I had while sitting at work one day and I'm a very shy and quiet girl so I liked having a main character who often couldn't say the things she'd like to, but was just as quirky and lovely as the rest.

07. Which characters did you like more from each story you created and why?
I love Evangeline (Evan) and her brother, Duce from "Quiescence". Too often in novels the siblings are at each others' throats, and I love a good, humorous relationship between siblings. And even though they are not named, the couple from "Resonate" will forever be with me - writing their story truly has changed me.

08. Do you do research before writing?
Tons!! I don't care if it makes me a dork, but I research an immense amount before each story, and even while I'm writing. Anything that I can change to make my writing better is my priority, not just on Mibba but in my life too. I think I'm in a relationship with Thesaurus.com, tbh.

09. Is there an author on here whose work you like or is your inspiration?
I love everyone on Mibba, honestly. They've inspired me more than words alone will allow me to express! Just off the top of my head, I adore "laredo" (her one-shots are THE BEST) and whenever I need a friend I always go to Midnight_Sunshine (sorry if I got your username wrong!!)

10. Do you like experimenting while writing? Writing about stuff you haven't experienced and genres you never thought you'd write about?
Over the summer I got this CRAZY job where I could design my own iPhone/Android application for WRITERS. It's a media-outlet for teenagers and young-adults. I feel like most magazine are so negative - this application gives you news feed from any location you'd like - and it's all positive. New music, good books, inspiring individuals - it's all going to be on there. Mibba will definitely get their fair share of articles!! The readers are the writers for the application. Not to ramble (pshhh) but this job has pushed me to write things I'd never even imagine - Executive Summaries, Meeting agendas, speeches, Business Development plans, practice articles, marketing analysis, you name it! It's pushed me as a writer, no doubt.

11. How often do you update?
I update as much as readers request, I want you guys to be comfortable and intrigued, so usually once a week if I don't hear otherwise.

12. Any words for your readers?
Oh gosh - you're going to think I'm an awful writer because I just cannot express my gratitude and love for you guys appropriately!! You guys mean the entire WORLD to me and I'd be nowhere without you. You guys are my home, my best friends, and my family.

13. Any authors you like and inspire you? (novels/graphic books)
The Giver by Lois Lowry. I read this book in 5th and 8th grade and I honestly adored it. I have an unbreakable bond with my 8th grade Honors ELA teacher so I surprised her and wrote the author, Lois Lowry, and asked her to sign a picture of us. She's the most down-to-earth, appreciative, talented, inspiring, and compassionate author I can think of!

^-^ Thank you so much. ^-^

And with that our first interview come to the end, but let's go to the next one. Shall we? ::cute:

The next amazing author I deceided to interview is Rosi S Phillips. Her stories ae grand and honestly, I can't pick just one for you guys to read. You can check her stories page and see for yourself how good her writing is. You can also find her published writings on amazon.

01. Would you tell us your full name?

I write under the pen-name Rosi Phillips, but my real name is a secret!

02. How long have you been on mibba?
I think it’s been about one year and a half now, hmm, maybe a little more.

03. Are you posting your writings on other writing sites?
Yes! I love Mibba, but I try to get my work out to as many people as I can! I also write on Literotica.com, also under another pen name.

04. Since when have you been writing?
Hmm.. Great question! I’ve always loved writing and I’ve been doing it since I could hold a pen upright. But only recently have I seriously began to develop myself as a writer.
Lunar Dance was my first story, and despite it’s many grammatical errors, plot jumps, and overall lack of cohesiveness, it was the first place that I started and also the first place that my fans (can I call them that?) really got a look at my imagination. But I would say that I’ve just started writing because with every story I write and finish, I always feel like it could have been better and there are so many more things I could have added to it to make it better.

05. Could you tell us a brief summary of your stories.
Brief?! Not if I tried! But there are some major themes that all my stories have in common. Let me list a few to start: love/romance, power of women, family/pregnancy, and a bit of violence. Most of the genre’s I write are either horror (Red Riding Hood), Paranormal Romance (Lunar Dance), Paranormal horror (Fury), and Romance (Flirting the Fence), but I’m currently exploring other genre’s also. However, I do believe that paranormal romance, and in particular werewolves, gods, and all that good stuff, is my favorite genre to write.
Yet, despite the fun I have writing these stories, I do like to think of myself as a conscientious writer and write things that are (in the public eye) taboo, such as: rape, discrimination, inter-racial relationship and the backlash there, etc.

06. What inspired you to write each story?
Well, I could go on the route that a lot of writers take and say “I had this dream that...”, but I’m not. In all honesty, most of my stories came to me when i was at my most busiest or bordest. Sadly none of them came to me in a dream. But to answer your question, I think all of my inspiration comes from the different classes I take (because I’m in college), the different people I surround myself with, and in general, my own twisted imagination.

07. Which characters did you like more from each story you created and why?
In truth, all my characters hold a special place in my heart, but my favorite has to be Mira, from my story: Fury. I think it’s because as much as I wanted Mira to triumph over the demons of Hell, and get out of there and have a pretty little life, she didn’t let me.
In all honesty, I can control my character to some degree, so that they don’t go too wild, but with Mira I couldn’t. She set the rules by appearing in my head one day and saying; “This is how it’s going down. You in or out?” Needless to say, I was in.

08. Do you do research before writing?
Yes! Tons! It’s hard to just start writing without carefully constructing a character and the world they live in. I’ve had to learn, through trial and error, that just like our world, a character’s world is made peice by peice. The only difference is, we play God in our stories. We decide who’s the champion and who’s the villain and so on and so forth. But in order for me to do that, I have to do a lot of research, especially if I want that character to live abroad, or under the sea, or on another plane. A truly fantastic story, with lots of imagery and interactive characters takes time, dedication, and a whole lot of research.

09. Is there an author on here whose work you like or is your inspiration?
My inspiration? That would be a no, but there are a lot of authors and poets who I absolutely love and adore!
To list a few: ZombayZombay (even though he/she is inactive), Telephonica (Jayda), Roxz (Rafaela), and the list goes on and on.

10. Do you like experimenting while writing? Writing about stuff you haven't experienced and genres you never thought you'd write about?
That’s kind of a funny question, considering I write paranormal stuff. But I can honestly say, I have never met a werewolf, a mermaid, or a demon, and in fact I doubt I would have the same reaction as my characters, if I did.
But to answer your question, yes I love experimenting with my writing. In fact, I was just offered a job, where I will be writing about things I never thought I’d 1) write about and 2) actually like to write about.

11. How often do you update?
It depends on what mood I’m in and my schedule. But I try to update weekly, and I never exceed a month.

12. What's the story you are most proud of?
Most proud of? At the moment that would be none of them, since I find flaws in all of my pieces that I want to go back and change. But I can say that I am working on a new story right now that I hope I will be very proud of.

13. Any words for your readers?
Of course! I love my readers and all of you inspire me to not only be a better writer, but to keep on writing! Without all your support and kindness, I’m afraid my stories would just be thoughts floating around in the back of my mind. And I would also like to say, that I know many of you have read my Fence series, and hated or strongly disliked the ending. Honestly, I didn’t want to end the story, but my characters had had enough, and sometimes they control my fingers more than I do.
But again, thank you for all the support, and I hope that you will continue to stick with me and tell me when I should redo a chapter because it’s not my best, or when you absolutely love a chapter and can’t wait for more!

14. Any authors you like and inspire you? (novels/graphic books)
Goodness yes! My two favorite authors, who have inspired me thus far are: Karen Marie Moning and Jeaniene Frost. If you get a chance, I highly recommend checking out Moning's Fever series and and Frost’s Night Huntress series. Both are absolutely fantastic reads!
But I do have to add Sophie Weston to the mix, whose novel “Cinderella Factor” has inspired the more romantic and loving side of my work.

____x____

I hope all of you enjoyed these two interviews, because I did. ::cute:

~Marian.
October 7th, 2015 at 03:47pm