My Background and Working Hard

Nothing annoys me more when I see people getting spoilt... I see people my age or younger get things given to them, you might call it being spoilt..
I have a friend who has never worked a hard day in his life, but his parents have given him a couple of brand new cars, rent his flat for him, give him allowance money, pay for his holidays etc... this is an extreme case, but it does make me angry.
My ex girlfriend was given a Mini worth £10,000, yet she still moaned about how her Mini wasnt brand new... Another of my friends is wrapped in cotton wool by his parents, the kid is 21, and Im pretty sure is the least independent person I know in my life.

I admit when I grew up I was spoilt in comparison to the other kids at school, my Dad spoilt me rotten, Mum never spoilt me, but there were reasons for this. I had a tough tough upbringing, so whenever I was with Dad he saw it as an opportunity to spoil me and make me smile, away from the rough side of everything else. Dad was beaten as a child, he had nothing, so he wanted me to have the opposite as him, he wanted me to have everything and I can fully understand.
Mum on the other hand sees everything as character building, shes been there when Ive needed her, but never once has she spoilt me, never once, and its taught me so so much. Mum has come from a 1000% working background family, Grandad was a truck driver and served in the war, Nan worked for the NHS, so she sees the world in a very ungiving sense.

I paid for my first car by working my ass off over christmas and my 18th birthday, I paid for my second car by working 4am starts for around 8 months, I pay for insurance, I pay for holidays, I pay for everything myself, I get no financial help from my Mum or Dad anymore unless something terrible happened. When I bought my first car a lot of bad things happened to it, like the gearbox blowing up... Obviously I couldnt do anything so Mum would be there.
Working so hard for my car makes me appreciate it so much, I love it, if anything goes wrong I will fix it, I see it as my responsibility, I will learn what to do and do it myself, its my car. I feel if you were given a car it has no sentimental value and is just seen as an object, and it shouldnt be like that when people all over the world struggle to even feed themselves, I refuse to give my child a car for nothing like almost everyone I know in Aberdeen, even if they hate me for it.
It makes you appreciate everything good that happens in your life more, for example, if I worked hard all my life, had nothing given to me, and one day I can buy whatever I want, go wherever I like, see everything, retire at 50, all because of MY hard work, how good would that make you feel as a person?? And for that reason I hate people being spoilt, because I see it mainly as awful parenting that makes their child a snobby unappreciative tw*t.

Its taught me a lot, its taught me that you should never ever expect something for nothing, and that you as an individual can only get where you want to go by working hard. If you have a rich parent then yeah, great, you have an easy life, but you dont appreciate anything, and I find that person isnt really on the path they want to be going because they are so deluded by the world that their parent is providing them with.

There are reasons why I work 2-3 days a week whilst all my other Uni friends dont work at all, my ethics are work hard and nothing else, and I will never stop working hard until I get to where I want to be, and Ive said to myself I will never be happy within myself until I can sit back in my beautiful home with my stunning wife and kids, with a load of incredible cars, drinking a nice cold beer with millions in the bank, then I can sit back and say yeah, Im finally happy... Which will take a lot of working hard.

Aside from that you have to keep a balance, if your life is constant work you will lose touch from reality and yourself, Ive seen it and experienced it in my last relationship where work took over her life and changed her world and who she was, and it tore our relationship apartt. I always find time to go away, to go home, to go abroad, to see friends, no matter how much it costs, because that gives me the mental edge to go back into work and be more successful than I was before... Its swings and roundabouts really.

Mum went abroad this week for the first time in literally around 8 years, shes been working so hard, so when she came home to say shes bought into a company and can get 2-3 free holidays a year, yeah it makes me jealous, but nobody in the world deserves it more than her, and its about damn time she got what she deserves. I dont see it that great though, I myself would like my own personal holiday home, villa, or even my own little island one day, but thats me.
And for the first time since I can remember she came home and dropped an iPad mini on my lap... But said it wasnt mine, it was for all of us... Forget that, because they already have one so this one is mine. And for the first time I actually smiled a little because Mum gave me something, Mum never gives me anything, it was weird.

There is a line though, and as a parent I would need to sit down and seriously think about it with my wife, I dont want my kid to be seen as the spoilt brat, if my kid was anything like me then I would be bloody happy. Id want to spoil my kid rotten though, thats something my Dad has laid into me, is that you never know what might happen tomorrow, so never stop trying to make your kid happy and smile. The car one is a tough cookie, I dont think I would buy my kids car if they werent working... If my kid had a job I would be inclined to match whatever my kid could get together. If my kid could get £1000, then I would match it, its a good incentive to save, and saving is a good habbit. And ive always said from day 1 I would pay for my kids first years insurance, probably his lessons in the first place, and any serious repairs obviously I would help out... Other than that he can take it from there.
My mum was too hard on me at times, and Dad was always too soft, but I think in the long term it will rub off for my own good, but I never want my children to ever have the upbringing I had, I want them to have something I never had, and thats a proper solid family.
October 12th, 2015 at 07:00pm