Would Anyone Be Interested in This?

Hello, how are ya Mibba? I've not blooged in quite some time on here, so I'll just get straight to the point.

I think, by now, everyone has seen that tag on Facebook called Man Crush Monday. If not, then please tell me who you're friends with, because I'm seeing it all over my Facebook. Every Monday, I'm absolutely bombarded with 'oh, I love my boyfriend, he's the best!' or something along those lines. I've seen it so much to the point that it got me thinking, and I was like 'you know, if I did a MCM every week, ninety five percent of the time it'd be a musician...

And that's when it hit me. Instead of Man Crush Monday, why not do Musical Crush Monday?

And so, Mibba, for the past six weeks, every Monday, I've posted a picture of one of my favorite musicians, whoever I was listening to a lot during the weekend or whatever, and I've written something about them. The posts have been confined to my Facebook, and started out relatively short, but have gotten more in depth.

This is pretty much my list of musicians I've included thus far:

Week 1: Kyo - Dir En Grey
Week 2: Yoshiki Hayashi - X Japan
Week 3: Sugizo - X Japan
Week 4: Gackt
Week 5: Simone Simons and Joakim Brodén - Epica and Sabaton


The cool thing about this is, I've gotten a couple of friends to do the same thing.

Here's what I posted today:

[img]www.calvin.edu/admin/sao/festival/2011/images/presenters/matisyahu.jpg[/img]

[img]www.photoshelter.com/img-get/I0000J6mxfawL8RA/s/950/633/Matisyahu-0005.jpg[/img]

IT'S MONDAY AGAIN, FACEBOOK!

Which means musical crush Monday!

When I considered who to pick for this week, I originally had someone much different in mind, but after I went off and spent an hour and a half writing a rant about that photo that's going around of a parent's response to her son's homework including a brief overview of a few Islamic principles, the music I wanted to listen shifted drastically, and so, for this Monday, I present to a very special musician, Matisyahu.

Yes, that's the same guy in both pictures.

Mathew Miller, better known by his Hebrew stage name, Matisyahu, is a raggae/hip hop/rock fusion artist whose music largely centers around his Jewish heritage and devotion to his religion, with an overall message of peace and kindness.

The reason that I'm relating this particular post back to that rant I'm sure a lot of you saw, or, at least, you've seen the photo I'm talking about, is because I did not discover Matisyahu's music on my own. No, when I moved here five years ago, the first teacher who made an impression on me, he was the one who introduced me to Matisyahu. The sole reason he showed us the song 'King Without a Crown' was because we were going over the connections between Christianity, Judaism and Islam. I liked the song right from the start, and why the song and name stuck with me, I have no idea. But I went home and looked into his music and found Matis' song 'Jerusalem' which I've finally decided is my favorite song (which is where my current cover photo comes from.)

Unfortunately, at the time, I didn't look into his music much more than that. It wasn't until I saw Matis' name show up in a magazine that I looked into his music again, and when I did, I was completely hooked and I have not looked back since.

I shared a memory just a couple of days ago, where I had shared the song 'King Without a Crown' a couple of years ago and as I said then, I am eternally grateful to the teacher who showed me the song, and introduced me to Matisyahu's music at the time.

I don't particularly think his music did a great deal in influencing me when I was younger, but his music is certainly a good reflection of me and my beliefs now.

And when I listen to the news, or read something about all the violence going on, not just here in America with all the shootings and massacres, but all around the world, the message of Matisyahu's music becomes even clearer.

The world is a horribly dark place, anyone can see that: there's hatred, persecution, racism, antisemitism, blatant cruelty, and so many other things that drag people down and separate us, and the sad thing is...

THIS IS EVERYWHERE! People have been so conditioned by the media to think that everyone, as the human race, cannot stand together, that it's nearly impossible to get over our differences; I mean, it's been five and a half decades and we're STILL dishing it out over civil and equal rights issues, and...

And it's just ridiculous that so much hate and anger is spinning around.

That's what I love about Matisyahu. Yes, his music does focus on his religion, but the message is more than that; it transcends that completely. The message is that people need to swallow their pride and be kind to one another. To be compassionate.

And if that's not a great message, then I do not know what is.

I think it's a message that more people need to hear, and that's why I picked Matisyahu for today.


Now, what I'm wondering, is would any of you be interested if I made a blog on Tumblr, or a separate Facebook page for something like this? Or I could make it something on here, but I'd like for the idea of 'musical crush monday' to be its own thing.

Would any of you follow my lead and do something similar?

I'm just curious as to what you guys think.

Oh! That rant I was referring to in my post, I will also post it here as we when I get the chance, if anyone would like me to. I'll probably post it anyway.

~Breanna
October 13th, 2015 at 02:12am