Since When Was Fanfiction "Inappropriate"?

While on Twitter today I noticed a horrible article that called Teen Wolf fans gross and shamed those who wrote "dirty" m/m fanfiction. You can find said article here. http://www.donotlink.com/framed?798734

I am just still so amazed. Not only did the writer of this post talk about the fans crossing boundaries, she also linked stories from A03 to support her view. It's beyond disturbing and I am disgusted that the writer did this.

Since the original posting, the writer has changed the article title and a couple words, but basically supported the writer's opinions of m/m being gross.

Oh and the original title, "11 Scott McCall-Stiles Stilinski Fanfics That Prove Teen Wolf Fans Are Nasty AF". Classy, huh?

I have several problems with this 'article'. My first problem is that by calling TW fans gross, they're generalizing all fans.

My second problem is that they called m/m gross. Why? Because the writer doesn't agree with it? I don't get that. Like, okay, you don't have to agree with same sex marriage/couples or that, not everyone does, I honestly don't. However, do NOT call their relationship gross. That is disgusting to me.

My third problem is how this will come across to the writers of the fanfiction. Especially if they're teens because they're just using writing has a way to express themselves. There's nothing wrong with that.

My fourth problem is the linking of fanfiction. If you are writing a negative piece about fanfiction involving things you don't like, you really shouldn't LINK THEIR STORIES. That is NOT okay. That makes it easy for people who agree with teen in thinking slash is gross to go to these stories and comment negatively about their stories. And it's not okay to just take excerpts and post them on the stories without people's permission. Oh my gosh.

My fifth problem involves the readers of said fanfiction. If they come across this article, they're going to think they're gross for reading and enjoying slash and they shouldn't feel that way.

My final problem is that this is a TEEN site aimed towards TEENS and written for TEENS. What's going to happen when they're gay/lesbian/etc. readers read this? They're going to be upset, rightfully so. It's not okay that they're shaming teens for reading/writing slash.

The whole thing is just so wrong and annoying and so many other things. Sigh.
October 25th, 2015 at 03:43am