Day 16 of 31: Fa Mulan!

My favorite Disney princess is Mulan, for obvious reasons. Mulan was an outspoken and adventurous young woman, living in a time when women weren’t taken seriously. Her father was expected to fight in another war for China, but because of his advanced age and previous war injuries, it was unlikely for him to survive it. Mulan, wanting nothing more than to save her father, steals her father’s armor and runs away in the night to take his place, impersonating a man. Everything about her character is brave and selfless. She didn’t do it for honor, which seems to be the most important thing in ancient China; she did it out of love for her family. Plus, with the help of her friends and Shang, her hot ass army captain, she becomes a straight up OG.

I think of all the Disney princesses, Mulan sets the best example for young kids watching. She faces adversity, and came through victorious. She did end up falling in love, but that wasn’t her main goal, like every other Disney princess. And I’m glad that they left it with Shang just staying for dinner instead of them getting married after only knowing each other a few months (and really, he only knew Mulan as Mulan for one day at that point; she was a man for the first few months.) I also love that it had a little bit of gay undertones from Shang and Ping. Shang fell in love with Mulan as a boy, but he still loved her as a girl. PANSEXUALITY FTW!
I’ll just end it with this link. Please enjoy.

A Self-Discovery With Shang
October 27th, 2015 at 11:57pm