Placement, York, Balance

Ok so the last few weeks have been manic, especially for me... Ive been out 3 times in the last 3 weeks which is weird for me, but its been good fun, and Im going out this week again on Tuesday to a gig in aberdeen which Ive been looking forward to for ages, so that shall be great fun!!

Placement is going rather well, considering its instead of University and that its only once or twice a week is ok, I met with the owner of an oil company and gave him the business plan ive started to produce for the joint venture between his company and the company im working for, and he absolutely loved it, he loved me aswell, so that was a good start... Guys like him are people I want to impress and I seem to be doing a good job at it, I come across as different and maybe weird to absolutely every single person by the way I act, the way I talk, the way I dress, the car I drive, its all different and I love it, who wants to be the same as the boring generic world?
Fingers crossed all keeps going well, I havent told them Im going home in 10 days so I should really do that tomorrow!!

This week I went off to York to see James, I was going to drive, but after thinking about the cost of fuel, the cost of parking, and the effort it would take, I bought train tickets last minute, £100 return which wasnt bad at all!! I love James to bits, weve known each other for around 8 years, we get on well and are really close, not as close as me and Jamie though. First thing we did is go off to the pub to get food and a pint, I was absolutely exhausted for some reason, so the pint got the me straight away, the food was really top notch though aswell. We also handed each other some present, he got me a nice heaton park mug, I got him a fly in a box. Literally. Anyway then we went off to the hotel and booked in, then we went straight to a pub for another drink, before heading off to an indian for more food, which again, was top notch.
Then after that we went straight to the stone roses bar and stayed in there for around 5 hours getting absolutely ian bealed, before asking a tonne of local girls and guys which was the best nightclub. Then we ended up in some place and danced around for 3 hours before leaving.... Once again I seemed pretty confident, I had a lot of girls around me but this night was solely to spend time with James and I told him that. After that we went back to the hotel, I was sick twice on the way and had to be helped up the hill by James.... weirdly in the morning I felt alright, I imagined I would feel awful, but after a shower and breakfast I was ok, and after a couple hours kip on the train I was almost 100% again!!
It was great, it was a lot of money....
Train £100, food £30, drinks £40, hotel £30... thats the rough outlay of it, £200, for one night. Do I regret it?? No. Because I probably wont see James again for 7 months until we go off to see the Stone Roses in Manchester.

Now people reading this might thing what the bloody hell am I playing at, and yeah, you could argue that Im having a bit of a wild time at the moment.. But my theory on life revolves around having a balance between everything.
Ive work my ass off when Im in Aberdeen for the majority of the time, working ridiculous hours at the airport every weekend, and getting top marks and top comment about my work I do for University, and on the side I push myself to the limit in the gym almost everyday. I work hard.
Doing this non stop all the time gets exhausting, it leaves you questioning what youre doing, so you NEED to have a balance between working hard and having lots of fun, and thats what Im doing.... At the end of the day Im only 20 and in comparison to the majority of all my friends I have a lot more money in the bank, a lot more knowledge, a lot more experience, and a vague idea of where I want to be in 10 years. So whatever I get up to now is good.
One of my friends up here, I wont name names, but he works full time at placement, he has a girlfriend, he says hes nearly saved up £20k or so to buy a brand new car... sorry but what? He doesnt really socialise with us guys from uni very much, he doesnt go out much, relationship life is boring, and hes splashing an almost mortgage amount of money on a car. I question it, but I respect it....
Other friends I have, go out all the time, splashing money, with £00000 of debt, and Im thinking its about time they worked hard...
So yeah, I try and find that balance between the extremes.
And when I broke up with Amy last year and the opportunity to go to Amsterdam arose with Jamie, Mum told me that "When you get the opportunity to do something incredible, do it."... which goes hand in hand with what my dad bought me up to believe in which is that "You dont know whats round the corner"... overall I just think if you died tomorrow, you were hit by a bus, would you look back and think youve lived your life to the full and had fun and have no regrets?
November 8th, 2015 at 06:43pm