Being Talkative/Opinionated in Class

I am a very opinionated person, and I like to express my opinions when I can. I think a lot about stuff, and there's not too many things that I haven't formed some kind of opinion on. But for so long, I've felt that others find this really annoying. It's not that I'm dogmatic or that I obnoxiously over-express myself, it just seems that most people would prefer to not hear anyone's viewpoint on anything because it's too stressful to have to think about it.

This became especially apparent to me when I started college in January. Obviously, in college there are a lot of discussions about controversial subjects. When I feel I have something of value to say, I like to offer my opinion. But, it seems that some of my teachers find this really annoying and have an attitude towards me or will even completely ignore me when I put my hand up. I have social anxiety in the first place, so I find really nerve-wracking to the point where when I am called on, my voice shakes and shit.

I'm not one of those students who tries to dominate the classroom or the discussion. I just like to offer my viewpoint when I feel it's valid to the subject at hand. I find people who try to dominate the situation more annoying than anything, honestly, and I'm much too self-conscious to be like that. Yet, it seems that I annoy the teachers more than the "dominant" students. I just find this really, really offensive.

It seems that teachers and fellow students would rather someone stay in line with their opinions and beliefs. I don't fit in any sort of category. Liberal, conservative, socialist, capitalist, etc. I don't find any of these categories satisfying at all and to me, they're all useless. So I think it's that people just find it too frustrating to deal with someone who is unpredictable, or someone who might make them have to think of something in a different light. The teachers don't like that they don't always have some sort of trained response to what I'm saying. It's just too time consuming for them to hear someone like me speak.

I also think that what makes this even worse is that I'm a female. The fact that I'm a girl makes it even more annoying to people that I actually, you know, think. Also, it probably makes it seem like I talk a lot more than I actually do, since studies have shown that women are perceived to talk more than men in conversations where men actually talked more.

This is just something which really bothers me, and it makes it so evident the kind of state our society has been in. Unless you can simply regurgitate the opinions that have been manufactured for people to have, people don't want to hear what you have to say. You're made to feel that being opinionated or outspoken is a bad thing, when it's actually a good thing.

I apologize if this makes little sense, I'm feeling really weird right now and I think I'm sick. I feel like I'm going to pass out.

But anyway, if you have experience with this as well, please let me know your thoughts.
November 24th, 2015 at 05:58am