Growing Your Wings.

So, this week I officially moved out of my parents house and across country for college. I went from being a Florida beach bum to...well, a beach bum stuck in the Utah snow.

If you're like me, you are a home body. I am the oldest of 5 children, so naturally, I don't have much of a social life. I don't like to go out a whole lot unless I know the people going and I trust them. Plus, being a writer like me, it's hard for you to want to do anything away from a computer.

I like to go outside, and what I mean by that is; I love to go surfing, climbing, long boarding, and then come straight home. Im not a party type of girl. I enjoy the fresh air and the bliss of a quite morning.

I would much rather stay home and watch movies with good friends and family, then go out and get drunk at some party.

So, long story short, I am a very home orientated type of person. So naturally, moving away was difficult for me.

I went from never wanting to move out of the same town as my parents, to not being able to wait till I had my own place. But, I believe that's mostly my own fault. See, being the oldest, I naturally have a motherly type of personality. I have a two year old brother, and I am a nineteen year old girl. So naturally, I took over being a mother for him.

Leaving him behind had to be the hardest thing I have ever had to do. And I've done some pretty hard stuff. It's like leaving a part of you.

But now that I'm here, in my apartment with four other girls, it's quite a relief to be able to actually start my life.

Some people say that moving away is extremely hard. Which, granted, it is. But I feel like it's also a great growing point for people. A chance to grow your wings, if you will. Its a good chance to start over but also it's a good chance to find yourself.

So, even if you think something is going to be hard, do it anyways. Because it's better to try it and give it your all, than to be wondering about it your whole life.
January 4th, 2016 at 07:44pm