Reflection and Improvement

After becoming more active on Mibba over the last few days, I've been re-reading some of my old work. I'm still proud of a lot of it, and I think it has the bare bones of something good, but I've found myself actually getting annoyed with my own writing style.

Everything is too florid, too verbose. Too many adjectives, too many similes - I want to go back over everything and strip it all back, right to the bones, and see if there's actually any substance to any of it or if it's all just froth and bubble. Too much of my poetry and prose creeps its way in to my narrative stories, and sometimes I feel like I'm showing too much without actually telling anything.

Does anyone else ever feel like this? I don't know, maybe I'm too self-critical, but to me my writing just comes across as pretentious and I don't feel like that's me at all.

In other news, I've procrastinated a 4000 word uni assignment so much that I now have a day to write it. Thankfully I've done a bit of the research already, but I know I've half-arsed it. It's annoying, because it's actually a halfway decent thesis idea, but I can just never seem to commit to anything. I guess an Honours thesis is probably a bad idea, hey?

Bye for now, and as per my new tradition, here is a song to get you through the week.

xxx
B

January 10th, 2016 at 11:12am