Playing With Mannequins

Because I'm a nursing student, they like to get us as hands-on as possible. At lot of that happens in clinical rotations, but some of it happens during Simulations, which is what I had today.

Basically with high fidelity simulations, we have these mannequins that have pulses, we can get a blood pressure, we can hear lung sounds, all this stuff. It's like a real human. Instructors it behind a window and have a microphone and pretend to be the patient. So you have to take all the info from your assessments and what they're saying and figure out what's going on.

Except that there's cameras going and all of the people not in the simulation room get to watch what we're doing. They can hear everything and the people in the room can't hear anything so it's nerve wracking.

The medical and surgical students were both together, and there's 15 of us altogether. The class is just basically split in half and some of us are on the medical floor and the others are on the surgical floor. There was only 8 people who were going to take part in the simulation, like actually go into the room, and they were picking a medical student and a surgical student out of a bowl at random. There was 4 scenarios and for the first 3 my name wasn't picked and I was super pumped.

And then it got picked for the fourth and final scenario and I was stuck being in that room. But it was actually pretty fun, the patient ended up having excessive bleeding from a surgical incision and there was some things that I could have done differently but it was a learning experience so that was okay. I had to call the "doctor" (who was just the instructor in the other room) and it went well despite me absolutely hating talking on the phone. I feel a bit more confident with my nursing care now so that's nice.
Has anyone read any awesome stream of consciousness drabbles/one-shots that they can recommend to me? I'm writing a couple Magazine articles this month and I wanted to feature some SOC stories in one, but I'm having a hard time finding them.

So if you've read any that you loved, send them my way!
February 5th, 2016 at 09:07pm