Holiday With Family || Listening to One Direction Doesn't Make You Gay

Hello, all.

I've been a bit quiet this past week. So last weekend, my family came over to visit and they ended up staying for six days, going on holiday, sight-seeing and food hunting. If there's one thing you need to know about my family, it's that we are all food lovers. We don't care much about anything else if we're visiting a place but we'll definitely look for special local food. That's just what we do.

Anyway, I thought I'd stay after their visit but I ended up tagging along the rest of the trip and followed them home. I literally packed up and left even though my supervisor had specifically told us not to go anywhere and finish the lab. Oops. Well, I'll be back on Monday so I hope he won't notice I'm gone. He's not available for the rest of this week anyway, I bet he hasn't even realized that I wasn't there.

On to the next topic of this blog.

I was in the car with my family. My dad was driving, my mom was in the passenger's seat and my brothers and I were at the back. My youngest brother who's 11 year old was watching a One Direction's music video, One Thing from my phone and my other brother, who's 20 noticed that and he started laughing and calling my youngest brother 'gay'.

Okay, first of all, I know he was joking but it's just too much. I hate that people immediately assume that any boys/men that listen and enjoy to One Direction's music as gay. Is there even such a thing as 'gay music'? And he said this to an 11 year old boy, who's at that age where he's searching for his identity. I don't want him stop listening or doing things that he likes just because he doesn't want to be called 'gay' or any other names. And the word 'gay' is not even an insult.

So I just coolly (when I said coolly, I really meant I was trying not to be too heated because we were in the car and it wouldn't be good to get tense with each other in a four hour journey) said to my brother that "listening to One Direction doesn't make you gay. Listening to any specific genre of music doesn't make you gay. You are gay, because you are gay. Doesn't have anything to do with what you listen to or what you watch."

However, that discussion was abruptly interrupted when my dad stopped at yet another food stall and we'd forgotten about it.

I'm not exactly mad at my brother. He's a boy and in our society, we aren't still quite accepting of the LGBTQ++. But I'm just a bit disappointed that he would think that it's something to joke about. I'm not reacting this way just because he said something about One Direction. I'd even react this way even if he made the comment about other artists.

Music is music. Just enjoy what you want to enjoy, okay?

This blog has turned out to be longer than expected. Sorry. notreally

So I'm going to end this here. Until next time!

xxLina
February 11th, 2016 at 05:56pm