Feminism and Poetry

Unfortunately, the title does not suggest poetry about feminism, though eventually I'd like to learn to write some of that.

I just put up a very short new poem on WordPress: Minnesota March

"Amazing, that we
can sit here on haphazard
spring evenings, silent..."

And also, a new article on PuckerMob: Feminism and the Myth of the "Other Girls"

"It's amazing just how many different types of girls 'Aren't Like Other Girls.' It's almost like there are all kinds of girls, who have all kinds of traits, who all have depth and personality that can't be summed up in a couple words. It's almost like femininity and the definition of womanhood is not a homogeneous cluster of identities neatly categorized into a single box to be avoided at all costs.

It's almost like there are no 'Other Girls.' "

ALSO I AM GOING TO GO SEE NEIL HILBORN AGAIN ON TUESDAY

He's most known for this poem:



But I would also strongly recommend his poems "The Future," "Static Electricity," and "This Is Not the End of the World."

And also pretty much everything else he's ever done (written and spoken).

This is what I was most excited about when I found out I was switching to day shift, aside from getting to see my husband every day, was the fact that now I can actually attend the poetry events I was so excited about when I moved to the Cities.

AND THIS'LL BE THE FIRST ONE AND IT'S GODDAMN NEIL HILBORN.

So I'm pretty excited.

I also want to see if I can start getting into doing readings. I've got one poem in particular, Depression, Shapeshifter, that I think would probably hold up well as a performance piece. Neil Hilborn is the one who got me interested in performance initially, so this event on Tuesday should be good for me. =) And maybe I can ask around and find out where I can start doing readings myself.

Life is good today, I think.
March 19th, 2016 at 01:16am