Bad Writing Just Makes Me Cringe so Hard

Hello, mibba!

Have you ever read your old writing and have a cringe-attack?

Image

Well... I just do that... just a few minutes ago.

I was going through my folders and clicking on random old stories of mine. Then I came across this story I wrote about three years ago. Let me give you a bit of a quote of the story.

Annie ran along the empty corridor, already ten minutes late for her first class of the day. She blamed the alarm clock, really. If it had been a little louder, she wouldn’t wake up late. And she also blamed her roommate for not waking her up. When she entered the class, Mr. Dean had already started the lesson. He looked at her once then, continued with his lecture, not really caring. Annie being late was a normal thing.

She just smiled sheepishly as she got into the room, trying to walk quickly to her usual seat without attracting more attention than she already had.

“FUCK!” she exclaimed loudly as she accidently tripped on one of the desks on the way to her seat. She quickly rose up her head to look at Mr. Dean, smiling apologetically as she quickly made her way to her seat, trying to be more careful. Again, Mr. Dean decided to act as if nothing happened. This was a normal occurrence.

She sat down and quietly took out her notebook and a pen from her bag. The boy sitting in front of her turned back slightly, smirking at her. She stuck out her tongue and pushed his head to look ahead. The boy, Zacky, her best friend since high school; stuck his tongue back at her and refocused his attention to Mr. Dean’s class.


Image

I could list a bunch of things wrong about that excerpt. The sentences were choppy. Everything was poorly executed. To put it simply, I hate it. I used to like it. That story actually used to be one of my best written story and it's actually one of the very few stories I'd actually completed.

Therefore, I'm going to use this blog as a platform to thank everyone on mibba who has helped me in improving my writing. Of course I'm still not perfect, my writing still has a lot of flaws but I'd improved a lot. I still need to be more careful with my tenses but I know you guys will help me.

If only I still kept my writing when I first started 13 years ago and compared it to my writing now...

Image

I'm so glad I have people around me helping me out with my writing, giving me pointers, helping me with my grammar and spelling since English isn't my first language and I only learn basic English in school. So once again, thank you so much to everyone that had ever commented on my stories and pointed out everything that I needed to edit and change to make my stories better. You guys are awesome!

Shout out to Effy, Esther, Nikko and Richy (too lazy to link) because they're the ones that I go to whenever I need advice on my plots or when I'm having a writer's block.

I still have a lot of cringing to do so until then, see you later, mibba!

xxLina
March 20th, 2016 at 03:20pm