What Even

You know what really grinds my gears?

I live in a very small town in Pennsylvania. There isn't a horrible amount of diversity apart from at our University. And even then all of the students usually stay on campus because it's way more fun than my town is.

My point is, my town is just not very diverse. So of course, whenever I go out with friends and we get to talking about race (if that happens to be a topic we get on to) I seem to get odd comments from people not in our group saying that I am not a POC.

Even when I am standing next to my very African American father, people still think I am lying.

*Stares into an invisible camera like I am in The Office*

I'm used to it. This happens to me all the time. It doesn't matter if I'm with my mother (whose grandmother was 100% Native American), my father, or my brother (who looks like a mix between Taylor Lautner and Mowgli from the Jungle Book). I always have to hear about how I am not a POC, or I am not POC enough.

Someone actually told me that I couldn't understand the issues that other races deal with?

Um, excuse me, what? And how is someone not POC enough? That's what really truly gets me.

Like, I'm sorry that I am really pale for being biracial? I understand that I don't get discriminated against as much as others in my town. But it still happens.

I've also had someone tell me that I don't have enough information to write POC either. Why! Why is this happening? I want to bash my head off of something most days.

I honestly have no idea where I am going with this. I planned out a rant, went over it a thousand times in my head. It was going to be so eloquent and hopefully made sense. Now I just can't seem to get the words out. I just...ugh.

It's frustrating.

I'm so proud of where I come from, my family history, my race, and everything that makes me who I am. But I am so tired of getting into arguments about it all. Where is the utopia where we all get along, love each other and accept people for who and what we are?

Whatever. I'm just going to go write this Harry Potter Marauders story that will probably never see the light of day at the rate I'm going with writing it and trying to make it relatively okay.
And my first blog was me talking about writing original. Pfft. I will never escape fan fiction.
March 22nd, 2016 at 05:32pm