Hockey Fic Recommendations, Pt. 5

It seems like I've been gone forever, and yes I have. This past year has been really hard for me, and I've barely had time to be as involved in Mibba as I used to. And because I'm sort of upset about the Rangers-Penguins game last night, I decided to cheer up by reading some hockey stories.

Here are some of the ones I've been reading and really feeling:

[Seven Year Ache]
This is a Shea Weber story that I'm still trying to catch up on. I think I'm up to the first 18 chapters or so. This story is beautifully written, alternating from past to present. It is about a relationship that has been dying off (represented in the present time) while at the same time, bringing us back to the past to show us that this relationship had once been so hot. Two different stories are told about the same couple, and it is interesting to both how this couple came to be and how they are going to fix this relationship once it began losing its flame. I need to catch up and find time to read it, but for those of you who want to try something, even if you don't normally read Shea Weber stories.

[Back in Sochi]
I know there are a lot of Chicago fans out there. This Patrick Kane and Teuvo Teravainen story is, whether I knew it or not, the story I've been looking for. I needed this story ever since I fell in love with Teravainen. While I wrote, read, and loved Patrick Kane stories, I was getting tired of the Kane/Toews/OC storylines. I love Toews and Kane, and the whole Toews vs. Kane tropes, but I needed something different on here. It is nice to see hotshot Kane, who is usually perceived as a man so sure of himself, be broken and dragged down by a heartbreak. For once, the shy, lovestruck rookie is the one more sure of where his love life is heading. Whether Teuvo ends up with the girl or not, it is an interesting set-up and I am more than curious to see how this all goes down.

[Don't Let Me Down]
Mats Zuccarello is one of my favorite hockey players ever. I am a Rangers fan, and Zucc is loved and adored by our kind. I haven't seen a story (if you have, feel free to send me over) about Zucc on here. When I found it, I was ecstatic. I started reading it and was sad when I reached to the recently updated chapters. I wanted to read more than the writer updated. This story is well-written and had me hooked by reasons beyond my love for Mats. It really focuses on the protagonist, Aria and the effects her abruptly-terminated figure skating career left on her. It really impacted on her and her interactions with other people. This story is only a few chapters in, but I am really excited to read more and see how the relationship between Aria and Zucc develops.

[Russian Roulette]
At this point in the playoffs, I should hate Evgeni Malkin with every fiber of my being. But I don't. I adore the man and love reading Malkin fics. This one is one of my favorites. The plot literally draws me in. Following a one night stand with Geno, the protagonist, Quinn faces a dilemma of where her love life is going (won't spoil anything for you). She is a doctor and I really respect it. Quinn is a wonderful person who i find myself really admiring. While her love life and Geno is essential in this story, I find myself appreciating the scenes of her in the hospital. I admit, it is the reason why I continued reading the story. She saves lives everyday and patch people up, healing them physically while she needs someone who would do the same for her emotionally. The plot and every little twists the writer throws in there keeps me on the edge of my seat. If you read this, hope it does the same for you!

And there it is! Let me know what stories you read/have read already, and if you want more recommendations. ALSO, if you have any good recs on ranger stories, please let me know! I always look for NYR fics and never find them. I will love you forever if you do, even if it is shameless self promotion!
April 23rd, 2016 at 12:17am