Fear of Teenagers in Public

My friends and I are at that age where you go places on your own and act independent, but still can't drive, so you have to be independant within walking or skateboarding distance.
With this being said, I find myself in a lot of local parks.
Yes, I am aware that I do look like a loser, and my friends and I look like we're trying too hard. I have already considered how it looks to the outside eye.
I've also considered how parents may feel when they go to their neighborhood park and see 14 year old children on swing sets and skateboarding on the court.

I do very much so understand that it may annoy the young couple with the toddler, so I keep this in mind when I go to these areas.

Today when we were at the park there was a little boy playing with a ball, and he couldn't have been more than 3 or 4. He threw this big bouncy ball (you know, the kind they keep in the giant baskets at target or walmart), and his mother looked very tired. His sister was off playing on her own.
So naturally, when he threw his ball in my direction i kicked it back.
Of course, since he's a little kid this started a game of catch/kickball that lasted until his family left.
I left my friends for the like 15 minutes or so and hung out with this little dude. When they left, his mother thanked me and remarked that he was dying to find someone to play with.

Obviously I know I'm not a saint just because I played ball with a toddler.
I just feel like when adults see teenagers places they expect the worst.
When I go to the mall, I know they're watching us to see if we're shop lifting.
When there's no more space in a theater and grown ups have to sit next to our group they probably think we're going to talk and play on our phones.
And when I'm at the park, they think I'm gonna curse around their kids and be a disturbance.
So I always try my best to prove that wrong.

A lot of year 8 and 9 students suck, I know, but it isn't everyone.
Some of us are gonna play catch with the kid, some of us are gonna give up our seat on the bus when you have groceries or a kid, some of us are respectful everywhere.

So wait for the teens at the playground with skateboards to prove themselves before passing judgement.
May 7th, 2016 at 06:27am