Bacon and Tomatoes

No, this isn't a food blog.

I really, really, don't want to start a fight, so please just agree with me here when I say that I'm not writing a political treatise or whatever. And if I post this anywhere else, it'll be taken as such by tons of people who love to drag others through metaphorical shit. looking at you, facebook and tumblr.

Also, I'm really bad at correctly and eloquently expressing my personal thoughts on basically anything. So I often can't articulate things right. Or at all. Ironic for someone who writes as much as me, but whatever.

And I don't know how to start this. A healthy does of Facebook drama, or lack thereof, maybe? Okay.

I only have a Facebook account to stay in touch with my old friends who don't even care about me anymore. But I'm attached to them, still. It's unhealthy. Whatever. They don't factor into this whole thing.

I also friended a bunch of family members. Not because I wanted to, but--at the time, at least--felt obligated to. And I really regret it, because they don't care about me until I win something; in which case, they are apt to take credit for my accomplishments, these people who have not seen my face in six years and who couldn't pick me out in a crowd. But! I digress. A little, because the important part is that if I were to unfriend them, they feel so entitled to my life that they'd start all sorts of shit. It's happened.

So now you have the reasons why I'm still on that site. And that's like a really long introduction to why I titled this blog fucking "Bacon and Tomatoes."

Actually, it's not. Gearshift now.

So we've all heard of the LGBT+ community. Y'know, Lesbian, Gay...uh, Bi...bacon, and Tomatoes, yeah? I'm not trying to create divisions in the community, and I'm not starting oppression Olympics, but. Dear God.

If you're only supportive of the LG community, then just say it. Just fucking say it. And that LGBT book list you've got there, Ye Fancy Publishing Group trying to gain diversity points? It's an LG booklist, like c'mon. Oh, and maybe we'll get a couple-a strips of Bacon in there too. Yay. Can't have them there Transes (I mean Tabascos) in there making things Controversial, right? Although I sort of identify with the Bacon (it's bisexual, but don't say that on TV!) community and sympathize with the bi people, the aces, and the pan people, and those with obscure sexualities, but I really want to focus on the Tomatoes, cos that's what's been in Le News.

So here's the family member thing. Remember them (what follows is mostly facetious)?

They love the gay community! "Oh yes," they say, "Let us turn our icons rainbow on the eve of the SCOTUS decision!"

And they slam on that share button for those I love someone who is gay posts, those FCKH8 posts. "Yes," they say, their chests swelling with pride, "I am a true ally!"

But lo! The Tchaikovskies approach on the horizon!

"The Toasters are Too Strange for our delicate suburban sensibilities!" screams Susan.

Jo-Bob agrees. "We must protect our families from imagined threats!" he says (Violence warning on the link).

Okay, fine. That's exaggerated. But I stay off Facebook because of this. I don't like to watch the news because of this. And I'm not saying that non-transgender LGB--or even others who solely fall into the sexuality side of the community--people have it substantially easier. I'm not. It's just that, when it's something that deals with non-trans gay rights, the entire community bands together and gets behind the issue. But now that trans people are facing a lot of hate, they're mostly silent.

Hell, worse than silent. There are lesbian radical feminists taking the sides of the lawmaking bigoted old white men. Really.

And college policies that claim to be LGBT+ inclusive? Jobs that claim to be? When a trans student goes to housing, then nah, you're getting put with whatever's on your birth certificate. Or nah, we don't care if you're gay, but we'll kick you off if you transition on the job. Don't you dare say it's only conservatives, because a good portion of these people are hard-core "open-minded" liberals. Sorry, but bigotry knows no political alliance, even if it's more subtle on one side than the other.

And before I end this, I'd like to give a shoutout to the intersex community. Because nobody knows who they are, but I don't feel qualified to talk about them.

Also...I don't like Caitlyn Jenner that much. She's not great as far as representation goes. So I'm going to provide links to modern people who I think are (not all rich, white Trump supporters) better as far as representation goes. That's not to say they're perfect, though.

Women: Laverne Cox | Carmen Carrera | Janet Mock | The Wachowsky sisters | Jenna Talackova | Jun Xing

Men: Balian Buschbaum | Ryan Sallans | Katastrophe | Lucas Silveira | Alexander James Adams | Kylar Broadus | Also a good list of more transgender men of color, specifically, because those listed don't have Wikipedia pages or personal sites

And I couldn't find many credible sources on people who don't identify with a specific gender, though some of the people in the lists above might be. I think Ruby Rose and has spoken about it, but a lot of the sources seem to take quotes out of context.

Anyway. That got long. I'll likely delete it.

Sorry if your name's Susan or Jo-Bob.
May 18th, 2016 at 03:19am