Ignorance + Handicap Placard

Sometimes I amaze myself with the amount of self-control I have, despite being a super angry li'l bitch.

Here's a little background information: my youngest brother was born with two holes in his heart, as well as developmental issues. At the behest of his cardiologist, we were given a blue handicap placard that's good until 2020; in case anything happened to him while we were out of the house, we could simply rush out of wherever we are straight to the car, where we can go and get my little brother some help.

My mom, little brother (S), and I met my dad and middle brother (D) for lunch today while my dad and middle brother had a few hours off between jobs. As mom and dad went to order, my brothers and I sat down to wait for them. An older man and his wife were sitting in the chairs next to us; they turned to my middle brother and asked, "Is your little brother handicapped?"

I seriously felt my blood pressure skyrocket for a lethal level. I immediately went into sister-bear mode and put my arms around him as D argued -- rather politely -- with these two idiots as to why they thought my brother was handicapped. They claimed that they saw us parking in the handicap spot (again, we're allowed to as long as S is in the car with us; after all, it's his placard) and I guess they thought it polite to question the validity of why we use this placard, even though none of us "looked" handicapped. This isn't the first time this has happened, and it's certainly not the last.

Honestly, there's a way to question things like this; for the sake of pure curiosity, it could've been asked in a different manner. Like, I'm sorry, but who the fuck are you to question why someone is in a handicap spot? Who the fuck are you to question the validity of someone's disability? Many people don't have outwardly disabilities; some people don't use walkers or canes or anything like that, and the validity of their illnesses are called into question by idiots like these.

It's like me (hypothetically, of course; I'd never do this) going up to someone in a wheelchair and asking them, "Are you actually disabled, or are you just a lazy asshole?"

I was so pissed that I could barely eat and each time I passed this oddball and his wife. I'm def. not a violent person, but when it comes to my family, you bet I'll royally fuck someone up. You do not EVER mess with my family, especially my little brother.

My disdain for the whole human race grows every single day.
May 19th, 2016 at 02:31am