45 Tips for Incoming College Freshmen

August and September are typically known as the ‘back-to-school’ months, and while most of us have experienced this phenomenon countless times since kindergarten, beginning college brings a whole new wave of nervousness and requirements. So while you’re all preparing and heading towards that first step in higher education, here’s a list of helpful tips and things to remember from someone who's seen the good and bad of college life.

General Tips


1. If you attend a university/college that allows you to make your own schedule, make sure you pick buildings that are close together and leave enough time to get to them. You may think you'll be fine running across campus in ten minutes, but you won't and your calves will burn!

2. If you don't make best friends right away, don't be too discouraged. Everyone is running on their own schedule and friendships work differently in college. Just wait until you find your kind of people. Try things like going to the local hangout spot (coffee shop, commons, library, etc) or get an on campus job that you'll enjoy. You'll meet people with similar mindsets as you.

3. Don't do anything that makes you uncomfortable. It's cool and encouraged to step outside your comfort zone, but know the limits! If you’re not the type of person who enjoys parties, then don’t go. Just because the people around you are doing something doesn’t mean you have to. Just be honest with yourself. Try something, but if you don’t like it, don’t do it again.

4. Textbooks are expensive. This is one of the most frustrating things in college, simply because the book might cost over a hundred dollars and then you find out you don’t need it. And after this course, you’ll probably never use it again. So check out websites like Chegg or Amazon. Find other resources for cheaper books, such as googling the title and “pdf” and seeing if they’re posted online for free. Rent them if possible, but hunt around for the best deals. Also, look into buy-back programs such as the one Amazon has and see what your school will give you for them. 

If your university has a Facebook page for your class, post which books you have on there after the first semester. There will be a lot of interested students and you’ll probably get really good money back for your books. 

5. Scholarships and Financial Aid. Look into these a lot. Scholarships aren't as easy to receive as some people think, but there are ways. Check out websites such as scholarships.com, this Tumblr scholarship masterpost, and Fastweb. Also go to your school’s scholarship office. It’s their job to help you locate more of them. 

As for Financial Aid, file your FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) as early as possible each year. Even though you’ve already applied for this coming year, that doesn’t mean you’re going to receive the same amount next year, so be on top of that!

6. Take pride in your school. Whether you're commuting and don't feel very connected or you ended up at your back-up, find something about it that you love, and embrace it. This is yours for the next two-to-four years, so join in on the school spirit. You'll have a much better time. (If you're having a hard time embracing it, go to a football game! There's no way to escape school pride in the student section!)

7. Enjoy yourself. College can be very overwhelming, and a lot of people have expectations going into it, of what it’s going to be like. It’s probably going to surprise you, one way or another. Just remember to take each year and semester one at a time. Remember why you’re there and what you’re getting out of it. Try new things, but know who you are. You’re probably going to be slightly changed in a year from now, so don’t be afraid of it. If your freshman year isn’t everything you’re looking for, sophomore year will be a whole new experience, so just push through it and work hard. 

8. Embrace your independence. You're more an adult now that you've ever been before.
- If you live on campus: Don't go home every weekend. Take that time to be with friends or catch up on school work. Do your laundry on Saturday while watching a movie and go to dinner with a floormate. Get up for breakfast on Sunday and invite your roommate. Take time to be your own person. You'll miss your friends from home and your parents and your siblings, but you have to give yourself a little time to be at school and be comfortable. My Saturday mornings on campus are my favorite because there's no class to rush to, everyone is tired and calm and friendly.

My first semester, I had a pretty bad experience with a crappy roommate and I used to beg my mom to pick me up every weekend. After that, I switched dorms, made friends, and my mom started asking me to come home for a visit. You'll feel that way eventually. Just give it time! :)

- Commuters: if you're living with your parents, you have to still learn to be a little more independent. College is not high school. If your mom/dad used to wake you up for high school, learn to do it on your own. If you eat breakfast with the family every morning, keep it up, but go out for dinner with friends here and there. Do your own laundry if you don't already. Maybe not every time, but you should at least know how.

Make your own decisions. It's nice that your parents are there for you to talk to about everything, but now that you're in college, you need to make life decisions for yourself. Decide how many classes you're capable of taking, feel free to change your mind about things, make your own doctor's appointments, buy your own school supplies. Learn to make decisions independently of your parents. Eventually, you're going to move out, and you'll want to know how to enjoy being alone and independent. :)

On-Campus Living Tips

1. Be honest with your roommate. You’ll probably have to sign a contract when you first move in, asking you to set rules about how you’ll live and solve problems with your roommate. Take this seriously and talk about things like what to do when one of you is trying to sleep and the other one wants to study/be up with the lights on. Or how often their boyfriend/significant other can stay over. Also, how messy the room can be before they need to clean their side up? Think about how you like to live at home. You’ll probably have to compromise on some things, but this is your home now and you want to be comfortable in it.

Also on the contact, it’ll ask you about the condition of the room. Write down every noticeable scuff on the wall / tear in the wallpaper, etc. You will get charged for these issues at the end of the semester, so make sure you’re not paying for problems people caused before you lived there.

2. Wear shower shoes. Just do it. It might seem weird to wear flip flops in the shower, but germs are gross and there will probably be other people’s hair in the drain. So just buy a cheap pair of flip flops and save yourself. Or, if you’re looking for something a little bit more geared towards tiled floors, you can find actual flip flops that were designed to be less slippery in the shower.

3. If you are sharing a bathroom with your floor, there will be people coming in and out while you’re using the toilet. It’s a bit uncomfortable at first and feels a lot like using a public bathroom constantly, but you’ll get used to it! But if guys do walk in, even as a joke, tell your Community Advisor / Resident Advisor. It’s not alright for them to make you feel uncomfortable, whether you're in the shower or just brushing your teeth, and your CA/RA will make them stop.

4. If your roommate doesn't become your best friend automatically, you'll probably eat by yourself in the dining hall a few times. Don't feel weird about it. This is your home now and it's perfectly cool to sit alone and eat. Bring a book or your laptop or just chill by yourself. It's completely normal! This is something that makes a lot of students feel out of place and awkward, but it's cool. Everyone has experienced this multiple times before and no one really cares or think twice about someone eating alone.

5. If you're attending a university that's large enough to have a bus system to pick you up from your dorm and take you to the classroom buildings and vice versa, try to get on the one just slightly earlier than the one you really need. For a nine am class, the 8:45/8:50 bus is going to be packed. So leave early and just spend a few extra minutes at your classroom building. It’s much better than running to class because there was no more room on the bus.

6. Look into clubs. Most universities offer a ton of different clubs, including recreational sports. There will probably even be an event fair at the beginning of the year for each one to set up a table. Join anything that looks interesting to you. You’re not roped into the commitment, so feel free to stop going if you find yourself too busy early on, but it’s a great way to meet people and try new things / continue something you love.

7. Look into an on-campus job or work-study (if you qualify for WS). It’s a good way to make some cash, connect with people on campus, and get out of your dorm. Also, the employers will work around your class schedule so you won’t have to worry about conflicts and you’ll still have time for other things.

8. If you’re one of the people who likes to decorate or organize your dorm, check out Youtube for dorm room tours and hauls, and Pinterest for ideas and photos. This is one of the most exciting aspects for a lot of students, so have fun with it and make your space your own. It’s your home now, so enjoy it.

9. Living on campus is pretty much being surrounded by people all the time. Everyone has different habits, so try to keep good ones. Go to sleep at a reasonable time so you'll be up for your morning class. It's okay to be the first one of your friends to go to sleep. There will be another movie night, another round of video games, another night out. You're not missing out.

10. If you have a roommate, be respectful to him/her. i) Turn your light off when you know they're trying to sleep. If you have to study, go the lounge or library. ii) Don't let your boyfriend/girlfriend sleep over every night. You might love him and enjoy his company, but your roommate isn't paying to live with him too. Especially when she needs to get dressed and shower. iii) Don't sleep all day. Sleeping in is fine, but you shouldn't still be in bed, asleep, when your roommate gets home for the day. It's stressful to have to tiptoe around the room at 3 in the afternoon. iv) Keep your space clean. Do your dishes, pick your dirty clothes up from the floor. v) Keep yourself clean. Shower regularly, brush your teeth. You'll feel better and everyone will be happier.

11. If you're living in a single, college living will be a different experience. You won't have a roommate, so there won't be anyone to hangout right away. But, there's other students on your floors. When you have your first floor meeting, put yourself out there. People cling to their roommates in the beginning, so if you're feeling a little nervous about being on your own, find someone else with a single room and introduce yourself. If you have a floor lounge, hangout there and introduce yourself! Ask your CA to do more floor events (movie nights, game nights, study parties, pizza parties, etc). There are tons of ways to meet people even when you're not sharing a room.

Commuter Tips

Like tip number 11, above, commuting is different experience than living in the traditional two-to-a-room dorm on campus. It means you have to make more of an effort to connect with your college or university. On-campus students have more chances to meet people, but commuting can lead to great friendships and experiences as well.

1. Don't rush back home when your classes are done for the day. Get dinner at a local hangout spot (cafe, on-campus restaurant, etc). You'll meet people, but you'll also get to see how the social side of college is. If hanging out trying to meet people isn't your thing, join a club or a recreational sport. That'll give you a reason to talk to other students and you'll already have something in common with them.

2. Attend sports events, theatre performances, game nights, etc. Make yourself part of the community and enjoy the school you attend. It's more than just academics.

3. Plan for parking. Colleges are notoriously bad when it comes to parking lots and garages. Make sure you leave early enough to get a space. Pulling in at 8:50 for a 9AM class isn't going to cut it. You'll spend 15 minutes + circling for spots and then be 20 minutes late to class, unable to breathe normally because you ran across campus. Explore all the parking lots on campus. You'll figure out which ones are full at certain times and which ones are emptier.

4. Plan your schedule carefully. You have to drive in everyday, which costs money. If you're close enough that it's a quick trip, that's awesome, but if you're 30 minutes or more away, think about how you pick classes. Consider the days and times. If you can have classes MWF, then you only have to drive in three days a week. TTH, twice a week.

5. Be mindful of the times between classes. If you have a 9AM on Wednesday, but don't have another class until 3pm, what are you going to do for the five hours in between? You don't have a dorm to go relax in and you can only enjoy so many coffees while you work on assignments. Try to keep the gap minimal. An hour or two is more than enough time to spend in the commons or getting something to eat.

6. If you do have long gaps between classes, keep yourself occupied. You might be tempted to head home for the day and skip your last classes, but you'll regret this in the long run. Find a place to hangout between classes. Find a spot close to your building where you're comfortable enough to hangout, work on homework, and eat something.

7. Look into Commuter Meal Plans. If you college offers one, consider the price. If you know you're going to be eating on campus everyday, it might be worth it. There are some places to eat outside of the dining halls, but be prepared to drop $4 on a single hot dog. Alternatively, bring your own lunch every once in awhile.

Academic Tips

1. Meet with your academic advisor. They're actually pretty helpful and will make you feel good about where you're headed with your classes. Also, If you want to meet with them before you choose classes for second semester, schedule the appointment early! Everyone is going to try to get in there around the same time and you don't want them to fill up. Some schools even require you to meet with them before you’re allowed to enroll in classes, so make sure you look into that and schedule early.

2. If you make your own schedule, don't be afraid to keep switching it around until you get what you want. A lot of people alter their schedules three or four times before they get the classes, days, and times that they want. 

3. Go to class. Not every class will require attendance (unless it’s a university wide policy), but if they don’t, go anyway. This is a big one. Going to class really, truly affects the grade you receive at the end of the semester. You’ll be able to connect with the material more, connect with your professor, and be there when he/she gives out answers to quizzes/tests during the lecture. I’ve noticed that professors do this when they see that not a lot of students show up. It’s their way of rewarding the ones who do.

4. If your college/classes has an attendance policy, keep track of how many classes you can miss for each subject. This is a big one. I recommend writing down the days you miss on the syllabus so you can check back from time to time. There's nothing worse than dropping a letter grade or percentage because you missed one class too many.

5. Check your school email often. You will get emails from your school, your professors, class cancellations, reminders, etc. This email is going to be a big part of your life. If you don’t like having multiple emails, forward this to your usual email and check that one. But make sure you’re staying up to date on it.

6. Study and do the readings/assignments. Figure out which way of studying works for you. Maybe you need to write things out or just read it a couple times. Make sure you take good notes and understand everything you’re writing down. Also, turn in written assignments. Even if they’re only worth five points. You’ll find out later that those five points could be the difference between a letter grade.

On the flip side, a lot of professors just assign readings. It’s very easy just to blow these off, but you should really do them. Professors might quiz you on them, but more than that, it’s usually what you’re talking about in the next class and he/she will know if you haven’t read. Be prepared to lose some points if they figure that out.

7. Tying back into the scheduling, try not to schedule morning classes if you’re not a morning person or night classes if you're not a night person. Of course, you might not always have the choice, but know who you are and pick times accordingly.

8. If you don’t know your major yet, don’t worry, you’ll figure it out. But for now take general classes that you enjoy and can be applied to multiple majors. When you find a certain class that you love, head in that direction and see how it feels. Meet with your Academic Advisor and discuss what that course load would look like and then go to the Career Center and see what careers are available if you get a degree in that field. Just find something you love and enjoy and run with it. 

9. Your syllabus is your new best friend. This isn't like high school where teachers hand out a syllabus but you don't really ever need to use it because the teacher writes all the assignments on the board and reminds you everyday about big projects. Nope. This is college, where your professor hardly ever mentions that research paper and doesn't even tell you that you were supposed to meet for class in the library instead. Your syllabus will have every class period listed with what you're doing and what needs to be turned in. Keep it close to you. It's your most valuable possession when it comes to course work!

10. You're there to get your degree, which means you have to get good grades. One of worse mistakes a new college student can make is losing sight of why they're really there. Have fun, make friends, but go to class and do your assignments. You don't want to be the one at the end of the year who's put on academic probation. You want to end the year/semester on a high note. Going out with bad grades will bring you down. If you do the work consistently throughout the semester, you'll be less overwhelmed.

11. Keep a planner. Whether it's one you picked up for two dollars, the one the university gives out, or one you bought and designed yourself, this is something that's highly important. If you don't already, learn how to organize and keep track of assignments. During that first week, "syllabus week", write down all the assignments on the date they're due. Planning in advance gives you time to get them done and keep track of how many things you have to do that week.

12. Don't be afraid to withdraw from classes. This is something I wish I would've payed more attention to my first semester. Turns out, the Medieval History class I chose to fulfill a Gen Ed was a bad decision. It was at 9AM and boring. Had I realized I could've withdrawn and picked something else in the beginning of the semester, I would have. I ended up with a C+ (my first C ever) because I was bored by the class and the readings. I had such a hard time pulling myself out of bed for something I didn't enjoy.

13. Pick classes you'll enjoy your first semester. There are some classes you have to take, but within the gen ed umbrella, there are categories that you have to fulfill. Within those, you have options. If you have to take a science class, pick one you know you'll enjoy. If you hate science, pick one you understood the easiest in high school.

14. Oppositely, don't push all the classes you hate to the end. Gen Eds should be something you take care of first. I'm not saying bog yourself down with only general education classes in the beginning, but after your first semester, take one required class that you know you'll won't like as much. And with it, take classes you do like.

15. Go to the Writing Center and Tutoring Center. If your college has one, the Writing Center can be one of your best resources. They'll help you with your papers from start to finish. Whether you need help understanding the assignment, brainstorming ideas, grammar checks, citation help, or to learn a new citation style completely (and more), the Writing Center has you covered! They work with people from all majors and levels, including doctoral students, people working on their master's thesis, nursing majors, history majors, engineering students, english majors, commuters, returning students, and more. They love what they do, so chances are, it'll be a great experience.

As for the tutoring center, I don't have as much insight on this one since I don't work there, but I know that it's a great resource for students who either want to grasp the material better or get caught up on something they missed. If your college is anything like mine, they're really easy to meet and approachable. Look for it on your campus and keep it in mind!

16. Use Rate My Professor when picking your classes. This will give you insight on the type of person you're going to be learning from! Students give (mostly) helpful reviews and drop insight about teaching styles, workload, etc. I check all my professors when signing up with someone I'm unfamiliar with.

17. Be mindful of graduation criteria. If you need 120 credit hours to graduate like I do, that means you have to take 15 credits a semester to graduate on time. Which is 5 classes that are worth 3 credits each. If you take 4 classes (4 classes x 3 credits = 12 credit hours), then you'll have to make up those three credits somewhere to put yourself back on track. The same goes if you fail a class. You won't receive credits for it and you'll have to find time to make them up.

18. Consider summer courses at your local community college. It'll help you get some of those gen eds out of the way and keep you occupied and focused while you're home from school / out of classes.

19. Do whatever it takes to find your place in college. If living on campus is hard for you your first year, switch dorms or try commuting. If commuting isn't working, try living there. Sometimes the price tag is worth it. Find your people. This is the most important part. You'll have more fun and do better if you connect with people. Think of what you like and find people who like them too. Art? Look into events happening at the art school (galleries, showcases, etc). Writing? Apply to work at the writing center. Join the creative writing club. Theatre? Attend plays, audition if you can. Take a walk through the theatre building.

~~
Hopefully these tips will help you feel more confident going into your freshman year of college! Just enjoy yourself and work hard. There are so many new experiences in college (and a lot of them come with a free t’shirt!). Make friends who you click with, don’t be afraid to branch out on your own, and remember why you’re there and where you’re trying to go after these four years are over. Set your eyes on the future, but don’t forget to enjoy the moment you’re living in!
June 1st, 2016 at 12:26am