Some Thoughts

I think of comments as a sore subject in Mibba.

It's great to have comments, any writer in Mibba knows that. Given the population of the people who comments, receiving a new comment is like having Channing Tatum grind on you or something. But to want, need and ask for comments are three different things.

I want comments. But I don't need it to write. I can ask for it sometimes, but I don't get ahead of myself when I do.

However, I understand that it's different for everyone. Not everyone has the same views or principles as I do. For me, it's very fulfilling to write for yourself. It might be because I'm in control? I mean, I treat my writing as my comfort zone, and to be in my comfort zone makes me happy. Having other people enter that comfort zone and dictate where my story should go will make me sad. It's just -- writing for popularity or writing just for the sake of getting comments or views or subscribers or whatever, kinda takes the joy out of writing, you know?

There's a lot of nice people in Mibba who offer comment giveaways or swaps. I think it's great that they're spreading love in the community. But it's bad to take advantage of that, and by taking advantage, I mean like you have to know whether they agreed to the comment swap or agreed to comment on your story. It's all about permission, guys. No one wants to be forced to comment.

In Buddhism, Buddha says that when our desires, our craving, our constant discontent with what we have, and our continual longing for more does cause us suffering, thus we should stop doing it. We have to make a difference between what we need and what we want and to strive for our needs and modify our wants. That also applies to writing. I need to write. I need literature in my life. I want comments. But I don't need for comments to write. The discontent with the lack of comments or readers or subscribers makes one sad. It's not because you're a bad writer. Everyone is a good writer. For example, a blunt pencil is still a good pencil because it still works like I can still write with it. But it just needs sharpening. Likewise, everyone just needs to polish themselves. I don't think anyone can be the best writer in the whole world. I think it should be the best writer you can be because that's what's important: you.

I think all of us has to remember that everyone has different tastes. Not everyone likes romance. Not everyone likes horror. Not everyone likes sci-fi.

Then we also have to remember that there is a difference between being rude and constructive criticism. A rude comment is usually baseless or it's already insulting you. A constructive criticism is based on facts. It has a balance of opinion, which is suited to the reader's taste, and facts -- like rules on grammar, rules in Mibba, etc. For example, chapter titles in Mibba don't have to be capitalized. There's no rule in the Knowledge Base that it has to be capitalized. However, it's ultimately your choice. It all boils down to you, honestly. It's your choice to follow the constructive criticism or not.

I just want to address that comments can affect one's persona. I mean, I can get constructive criticism and I'm happy to get those but to read mean comments is disheartening. I've went through a rough patch of insecurity. It might be quite shallow to you but it was very hard for me. I don't like talking about it and I don't want to go back to that time again. But mean comments inches me closer back to that time. It's kinda sad because it's only now that I've created my style and comfort zone and because of one person, I go back to that time again.

But either way, we just have to learn to accept it and move on.

Another thing I'd like to touch upon are contests. No one likes favoritism. But it's not right to blame other people for winning. It's alright to be salty but don't make shady comments about other people. This would be the time to re-evaluate yourself. What am I doing wrong? What do these people have that I don't? You should try reading literary-canon such as Shakespeare, Fitzgerald and Austen. It really works, I swear. You just have to lurk and read so you can develop your own style that works for you, that you’re comfortable with. Try to have a break from writing and see what you can do in that time to get better. With writing, there are endless possibilities! There are endless of opportunities to develop yourself. The only way is up, honestly.

To quote C.J. Cherryh, “it is perfectly okay to write garbage—as long as you edit brilliantly.”

That’s another point I want to discuss. Proofreading! Editing! Revision! Those are a writer’s best friends. Consider reading your piece aloud next time. You can get the discrepancy in the flow, etc. when you do it. Remember that you’re your own worst critic.

I also don’t want to hate on silent-readers. Truthfully, I’m perfectly fine with them. I don’t want to force them to comment. Just knowing that someone took the time to read my story makes me happy already. Likewise, I included everyone who entered my contest in my rec blog because they took the time to read through it and join. Even if some weren’t able to produce entries, it’s okay! At least they took the time to inform me.

I just like writing a lot. It makes me very happy that I’m able to write.

Sorry, I just rambled off and it became super long.
June 5th, 2016 at 07:11pm