The Stanford Case

When I was younger, I could separate myself from news stories. I can't anymore.

The older I get--and the more I recognize the fact that I am entrenched in a culture which passively dismisses rape and encourages attitudes that lead towards it, and the more I realize how fucked up a lot of the situations I've been in were--the less tolerance I have for it.

I mean, even in fiction. I have to leave the room for certain scenes in Game of Thrones, because they get into my head in a way that makes me feel sick and panicky.

So when it comes to real life, I just can't fucking deal with it. And like the rest of the world, I'm disgusted with the lenient punishment of the rapist in the Stanford case.

I'm so sick of hearing about how this man is so promising and has such a bright future. So did the woman he raped. Her life will be affected by this. Why shouldn't his be?

And yes, I realize to those who love him he is more than a rapist. But the fact remains that he raped someone. Doesn't that deserve consequences? And why is everyone so worried about his future, but they don't care how hers will be affected?

Just fuck everything about this.

***

I got into a pretty ranty mood about this the other day, and wrote a PuckerMob article about it that came out a little more heated than I meant it to, but you know what, I like that. I like that I can write angry. I need to write angry sometimes.

You can find the article HERE and if you'd check it out, maybe share it on social media if you like it or if you feel it says something relevant, I'd appreciate it.

In the meantime, I'm going to go back to stuffing my stupid face with every bit of food I can find because today sucked.
June 10th, 2016 at 01:36am