Orlando: What the Media Isn't Saying // Unbelievable

So I wanted to share a literally unbelievable exchange I had today.

I posted an article today about the part of the tragedy in Orlando this morning that isn't getting talked about enough: The fact that it was a HATE CRIME.

The news articles I'm reading focus on how the guy was allegedly a jihadist, but none of them even acknowledge the involvement of homophobia in these attacks. They mention that the shooting happened at a gay club, and then don't mention homosexuality again the entire article. Like sexual orientation and homophobia played no part at all in the motives for the violence. Like that's not even important.

I posted the article saying that we need to stop pretending homophobia isn't real, and damaging, and deadly, and then shared that article to a couple of the blogging groups I'm in.

And someone responded in one of those groups: "We cannot keep pretending that who you fuck gives you extra rights."

I answered, "I absolutely agree. Just because someone fucks someone of the opposite sex doesn't mean they should get more rights than someone in a same-sex relationship. Like the right to not get shot to death at a night club. That's one you shouldn't have just because of who you fuck. Glad we're on the same page."

To which he said: "There is no right to 'not get shot to death at a night club.' You're a moron. Glad we're on the same page."

...?????

I started typing up a response to him basically saying, look, I'm not sure what rights you're referring to then because the whole point of this article is that PEOPLE JUST GOT KILLED FOR BEING GAY AND THAT'S BAD AND MAYBE WE SHOULD STOP PERPETUATING THE IDEA THAT BEING GAY IS AWFUL AND START RECOGNIZING THAT HOMOPHOBIA GETS PEOPLE KILLED, and you're CONTESTING THAT, and I'd just like to know what it is specifically that you're contesting because it really sounds like you're arguing with the idea that these people didn't deserve to die.

But while I was typing the article, the whole comment thread vanished.

I couldn't find that guy in the community, but his title listed on his profile was Chaplain, which is really fucking disconcerting to me.

I am just...mindblown. That someone could actually ARGUE with the idea that homosexuality is bad when it's getting people killed. What the actual fuck. I'm heartbroken.

If anyone's interested, here's the offending article.
June 12th, 2016 at 10:21pm