Things to Avoid Doing in a Vet's Office.

This isn't me trying to be mean or anything. I'm just going to let you know the things I find annoying that people tend to do when bringing their pet to the Vet's office. I've been working as a Vet Tech in an animal clinic for 3 months now and there are just some of the things I've dealt with and wish people would stop doing.

1) Unless you have an appointment for more than one animal, don't bring extra pets. I've dealt with clients that would bring extra pets in for "moral support". Exam rooms aren't big and if you have more than one big dog, it gets cramped. Because not only are the pets and yourself in the room there is also a tech and Vet in the room. We do not want to be falling over your other pet if we don't have to.

2)Leave kids at home if you can. Just like having the extra pets, kids can get in the way. They are a distraction. There have been countless times where I'm trying to do my job and a little kid interrupts me and half the time the parents don't do anything about it. They also seem to steal the dog treats we have in the rooms. No joke. So please leave the kids at home if you can.

3)DON'T BE A DICK! Be nice to the staff. Every job in the clinic is important. We are here to make sure Fido and Fluffy are healthy; that is the main goal. Don't call us names and tell us we're only after your money. That isn't the case. If we don't prescribe your pet something that you want them to be on but the Vet thinks it's time to try something else; don't yell at us. The Vet is doing what is right for the dog.

4)Answer our questions. There have been times I ask questions about the dog that is in the records. Don't tell me to look back in the records. I want to hear the answers to come out of your mouth. Yes I can read. I want to know if there has been any changes; the records can't tell me that. And sometimes the ladies up front will ask you a question and I'll ask you the same question. Don't get mad; we want to make sure the story stays the same. You'll be surprised; a lot of the stories do change.

5) Vaccinate! Don't tell the Vet that you're anti vaccines when you are here because your cat has an Upper Respiratory Infection. Your cat's chances of getting a URI is lessened when you get them vaccinated. Vaccines don't cause cancer in animals. They are created so they don't die. VACCINATE! YOU DON'T WANT FIDO GETTING PARVO AND DYING. Trust me Parvo isn't something you want your dog to get. Google it! It's horrible. But preventable.

6) Stop with Breeder Advice. Seriously just stop listening to breeder advice. Half the time it's pure bullshit.

and

7) When the tech asks you to muzzle your pet; muzzle it. I've got a story. I was the only open tech available for this tech only appointment. It was just a bordetella vaccine for an Aussie. Before heading into the room, I was told to not make eye contact with the dog. The owners know the dog is psycho and has been working with a trainer to make this dog better. So I asked the owners to muzzle the dog that was growling and trying to attack my face. The man simply said, "we don't have to muzzle her. I'll restrain while you do the vaccine." I tried his plan which is against what I was taught in school. But every time I went to give the drops, she'd growl and trying to lunge at my face. I had to beg him to put the muzzle on. Even his wife was telling him to put it on. I've never been so scared in my life. Thankfully I wasn't attacked the day. But this visit would have been a lot shorter if the owner would have just listened to him. Just muzzle your pet when the tech asks. He may not be mean to you; but he's at the vet. He's already stressed out and with people poking and probing him; he'll get mean. It's safer for everyone.

I'm sure there are more things Vet Techs hate but these are my top seven.
July 23rd, 2016 at 03:27am