Throwback to That Time I Ate Pizza With Simple Plan

Hi anyone who stumbles across this!

Just recently (two weeks yesterday, actually) I saw Simple Plan open for Blink 182 where I live. They aren't playing a headline show here (at least not one us fans know about yet), so I might just have to accept that as SP's show here for the next four years. I can't complain much though. Not only did they make those 45 minutes count, but when Blink took the stage later my friends and I decided to escape the grasps of the mosh pit and enjoy the rest of the show from afar. At 26 years old it's kind of nice to have your own space to dance in.

It was a good call though because my friend pointed out to oblivious me that Simple Plan was basically surrounding us. We had seen David near us earlier watching The Used, but this was the whole band now. There was no mad dash from fans. In fact, it was completely calm (aside from fans pumping themselves up for Blink who was just about to start as the lights went out). I've said this before when I talked about meeting Frank Iero; I'm shy. Calm and collected, but shy, so I decided not to say anything to them. A part of me felt like talking to them during Blink's set would be considered interusive or rude, and because I've met them before (we're getting to that part), I didn't feel any "Oh my gosh, this is your ONLY chance to get your picture taken with them, it will never happen again" panic. I guess I could have high-fived them and said "GREAT JOB!", but in retrospect I now have this memory of standing with MY favourite band, watching one of the bands that inspired them. That to me is irreplaceable. I was literally five feet away from Pierre Bouvier watching Blink 182. I danced like a dork with my best friends in front of Simple Plan, and at some point I saw Pierre air-drumming along to Travis Barker. I even remembered to pause and remind myself that these moments are what make life awesome. Yes, I paid $100 dollars for the evening, but when you're with your best friends, are surrounded by your favourite band and are dancing to some epic pop-punk music that inspired a generation, life doesn't get much more perfect in my eyes.

I met Simple Plan in 2012 for the first time. When anyone asks me what it was like eating pizza was Simple Plan, I'll usually say: "They treat you more like a friend than a fan." I haven't shared my meet and greet story on Mibba. Here's what I wrote way back when. Warning: THIS HAPPENED IN FEBRUARY 2012. AND THIS IS A LOOOOONG POST.

Next stop: the past....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
February, 2012

#5 and #14 crossed off my bucket list!

I haven’t blogged in awhile. Today I thought I would finally sit down and put together this massive wall of text to explain my meet and greet experience with Simple Plan on February 16th of this year. I enjoy hearing others’ fan stories about meeting their idols and I thought I’d share mine with those who are willing to read. I apologize in advance for how long this is, I love to write and I tend to ramble.

Anyone who knows me knows that I’m a big fan of SP and have been since I was twelve years old. I blab about them so much that my mom is pretty much a fan too (she’s partial to Sebastien, haha). I have always wanted to meet them, but I don’t tend to stay late after concerts and I never win any kind of contests, so when the SPCrew came up with the opportunity to meet the band, I was ecstatic and purchased the VIP bundle after my dad convinced me I’d probably regret it if I didn’t. VIP meant some exclusive merch AND - the best part - a pizza party/meet and greet after the show - already alongside the soundcheck party and early entry.

Alright, so onto the more exciting stuff and skipping over the mundane “when I got to the venue” feelings… It was weird lining up on the stairs for the soundcheck party. We could all hear the band warming up (a soundcheck) but couldn’t see them, which my best friend and I laughed about because, hey, doesn’t being at a soundcheck party mean you get to see the band do their soundcheck? Anyway, after the band’s initial soundcheck about 50 (maybe a few less) of us were let into the arena. As soon as I walked in I was a giggling mess, because holy crap, Simple Plan was chilling out onstage and because there weren’t that many of us you knew at some point they would notice you.

The soundcheck was hilarious of course, because SP consists of some of the dorkiest musicians ever. There were multiple “That’s what she said” remarks and jokes about male genitalia in French (amazingly I understood most of what they said in French. Maybe four years of French class in high school did pay off a bit). Pierre attempted to play “Happy Birthday” on guitar for a fan, David complained that it was too dry in the arena to whistle, Chuck maintained his cool demeanour behind the drum set, Jeff did that awesome nod he does when he plays guitar and Sebastien was his cute self with funny comments at random moments. I think I was on autopilot majority of the time - only capable of tuning in once every couple minutes, but I do distinctly remember laughing when Seb said: “We’re going to play a song for you guys.” *Pause* “A Simple Plan song.” *Fans cheer* “I know, right? Which one do you want to hear?”

They ended up playing “Me Against the World” for us but it took us a very long time to decide on a song. Many wanted to hear “Grow Up” but either Jeff or Seb played the opening riff on guitar and Seb stated that’s all they could remember. Someone also suggested “Vacation” and Pierre began saying something about it but was cut off by David who came over to say hi. “Helllllooooooo”.

The band also played their party medley and after that said they would be coming down to see us. Pierre gave all the instructions, but really the only rule was to stay where you were and that they’d come to you rather than you running after them. Pictures, autographs, hugs, groping…(ha!), was all approved. I thought they would stay on their side of the barricade but surprised me when they came around to our side. I won’t share everything we said to them, because this post is already a novel and I want to keep some things to myself, but I asked them all to sign my bucket list that had: “Meet/talk to Simple Plan in person” on it.

Jeff (we met him first) checked it off saying something like: “Well then we’ll just have to do this.” *checks off*. “Done.” :)
……………………………………………………………………………………………………………

We met David next after he was continuously distracted all the way down the line. He seems to spend the longest time with fans because he becomes wrapped up in conversation and making jokes. At some point I made a “That’s what she said” joke and his jaw dropped open at me and then he grinned. Pointing at me he shouted to the guy onstage: “THAT’S WHAT SHE SAID!” That wasn’t all though. When signing my bucket list he swiped it out of my hand when I wasn’t paying attention and scanned it over quickly. You could tell he was going to say something witty, and he did.

David: “These are all things you have to do, right?”

Me: “Yes.”

David: “So it should say: ”Do Simple Plan". It should say: “Do David.” *Grins*.

Me: o.O ... :D (I had no words)

David instantly gave us hugs before pictures, you didn't have to ask (which is nice, because I'm not usually the type to ask "celebrities" for hugs).

……………………………………………………………………………………………………………

Meeting Chuck: Chuck looked over the first few things on my bucket list and began asking me about some of them:

Chuck: “Have you been to a hockey game yet?”

Me: “No, not yet.”

Chuck: “Can you play drums?”

Me: “Meh. Well I have a drum set, I’m learning.”

Chuck: “You’re halfway there!” *Signs*

Me: XD “Can I get a picture with you?”

Chuck: “Yes! Yes! We have to document this moment!” *Referring to my accomplishment of meeting them*

……………………………………………………………………………………………………………

Meeting Sebastien: Please note I have no idea where my courage came from when talking to him. No idea at all. I was nervous meeting him because honestly, I’ve heard that if you don’t catch Seb in a good mood his sarcasm can be a bit intimidating (and everyone has those “blah” days).

Me: “Could you sign my bucket list?”

Seb: “Sure.” *Begins reading through it quickly* “You could do this tonight at the show too!” *Points to #14 which says I have to start a clap-along at a concert while the band is performing*.

Me: *I’m already dying at this point because he’s actually reading my silly bucket list* “Maybe! I have to start a clap-along while you’re performing though - it’s pretty hard, we’ve tried.” (Referring to my best friend).

Seb: “Oh. Well maybe!” *Keeps reading and then laughs and points to one of the last things on my list* “Start jogging."

Me: "Yeah, well, to stay fit!” *Laughs"

BFF: “You could start that now, just run across the arena!”

Seb: *Laughs and signs.*

Me: “My sister met you a bit earlier today at Live on Lombard. She told me you gave her a "Forever Hug” or something."

Seb: *Thinking* "Today?”

Me: “Yeah.”

Seb: *Perks up over realization. Holds hand up to indicate someone short* “The little one that giggles a lot???”

BFF: *Laughs* “That sounds like her!”

Me: “Yeah, that’d be her!” XD

Seb: “Yeah, yeah!” :)

Me: “So she got a "Forever Hug”, can I get one too?“

Seb: "Yeah!” *Holds arms open for what would end up being a 30+ second hug*
*The hug gets awesomely awkward pretty fast and I actually tried to let go after fifteen-ish seconds or so but he wouldn’t let me.*

Seb: *After awhile into the hug* “Hey, how old are you?”

Me: “…22…”

Seb: “Oh good. ‘Cause right now I’m just hugging boobs.”

And like that wasn't enough, Seb would later make my entire day, and possibly year at the pizza party later.
……………………………………………………………………………………………………………

Meeting Pierre: I was a bit starstruck meeting Pierre, because everyone and their mother knows who he is, right? As a result nothing all too funny happened when we first met him - that would come at the pizza party, along with a funny conversation with Jeff. I do remember him looking over my bucket list quick before signing and I remember the half hug he gave me before our picture was taken. I remember him being a bit thrown off when my best friend asked to be on his other side for the picture to mix things up and he held his arms out to both sides and said: “…Sure” in that blunt Pierre humour sort of way that you as a fellow SP fan would understand I’m sure.
……………………………………………………………………………………………………………

The show was fantastic - as SP concerts always are. My best friend I were front row sort of between Pierre and Sebastien. It was weird to have the guys recognize you from soundcheck and acknowledge you with a smile, nod or wave here and there. They’re excellent performers and even my dad (who was at the show because my sister won extra tickets and gave them to my parents (my parents are awesome) said that he enjoyed the show and described SP as being a very “polished” band, meaning they know what they’re doing and are professionals up onstage.

After the show I was all giddy again to meet them one more time. I didn’t know what to expect at the pizza party but definitely nothing what it turned out to be!

I figured it would be more formal than it was - another line up like at soundcheck if you will, but we were brought to a room where all the soda and pizza was and Eric (Our "den mother" as we called him or "the pizza party planner" as David referred to him as. Eric is THE BEST. Give that guy a promotion. He had some great stories to share with my friend and I) said the guys would be there in about 15-20 minutes. He told us that we could hang out wherever we wanted in the room and the guys would come around to mingle.

The door opened once and you could feel everyone hold their breath in the room, haha. Turned out it was a fellow SPCrew member though and we went back to eating. Then when the door opened again Sebastien walked in with his arms in the air saying something like: “I’m here! Wooo!” The rest of the guys followed suit and went right to mingling with everyone all around the room.
……………………………………………………………………………………………………………

Talking with Jeff. My best friend and I were standing at a table simply watching everyone, and exchanging a few comments with Eric when Jeff came over and formerly introduced himself this time. We ended up having a funny chat with him regarding my best friend’s love for Clay Aiken. It went something like this:

*We had been talking about travelling to see artists play when my best friend stated that she had done that*

Jeff: “Yeah? Who did you go see?”

BFF: “It doesn’t matter.”

Me: “Yes it does!! Tell him!!”

Jeff: “Who’d you go see? Tell me.”

BFF: “No…”

Me: “If you don’t tell him I will!”

BFF: “Clay Aiken…”

Jeff: *Stares. Smiles and nods* “Clay Aiken… Ok.”

BFF: “You’re making fun of me!”

Jeff: *Laughs* “I’m just smiling and nodding.”

Me: “That’s the reaction everyone has when she tells them.”

Jeff: :D “What the f#ck’s that guy up to these days?”

*Etc. There was more but I’m stopping here, haha*
……………………………………………………………………………………………………………

After Jeff went off to talk with other fans I decided to go throw my garbage into the trash can like a good citizen. What I didn’t expect to see was Pierre chilling out on the floor with a small group of fans having a conversation. I don’t know, but that blew my mind. Pierre Bouvier sitting on the floor with his fans. That’s when I noticed Sebastien not that far from our table sitting on the floor with fans too. I have even more respect for the band now.

Talking with Chuck. When Chuck came over to us I wasn’t sure what to say - I sort of froze for a second. Originally I had a note with me of things I wanted to say if I blanked out when meeting them but I had long forgotten about it, because they were easy for me to talk to. So instead of snatching my note out of my purse we talked about their show a bit and then I asked him about the hockey stick signing earlier that evening. He talked a bit about it and then about his tour of the Jets Locker room before the three of us just started talking about the Jets in general.

Chuck: “Alright, well I’m going to go mingle a bit more.”

Me and BFF: “Kay.” :)

Chuck: *Fist bumps us* “Love you guys.”

Me: o.O “Love ya too.” (Dorkiest response ever. I was thrown off. But how sweet is that guy?!)
……………………………………………………………………………………………………………

Talking with Sebastien. Seb had been mingling with one group when he first got there and then I had seen him literally roll across the floor to another group because he didn’t want to get up, haha! He was chatting with a group behind us when I heard him wrap things up with them and come moonwalking backwards to our table. Like, I mean he actually attempted to moonwalk.

Seb: “Hey!” *Stops at my side*

Me and BFF: “Heyyy!”

Seb starts talking to me: “So it was you who started the "Go Jets go!” chant during the show, right?“ *He’s obviously teasing me, I could tell that much*

Me: ”…Huh…?“ *Laughs*

Seb: "You’re the one with the bucket list, no?”

I was far too happy here, I could have cried. Honestly no one in a band ever remembers me - even local ones whose shows I attend all the time! As if he remembered me and my stupid bucket list from that afternoon.

Me: “Yeah!” XD

BFF: “Well you sort of started a clap-along! Like, you started clapping and then Pierre started clapping so the crowd started. But you started before him. So technically you started the clapping.”

Seb: *Points at my BFF* “That counts!”

Me: *Laughs* “Yeah? Alright! Want to check if off for me?” (Considering he’s the one with the sharpie). *Takes out bucket list and points to #14*

Seb: “Right here? Just like a checkmark?”

Me: “Yup.”

Seb: *Checks it off*

There was a whole other thing regarding their CD booklet I had him sign, but that's one I'm going to save for another time, maybe. Seb was hilarious and we probably spent the most time with him out of our meet and greet with the band.
……………………………………………………………………………………………………………

Talking with Pierre. My best friend had gone to get a bottle of water after Seb left our table. While I was waiting for her to get back I was fiddling with my cell phone (you know, so not to appear too awkward, haha). When I glanced up I noticed Pierre was wrapping things up with some fans. When I looked up again he was walking toward me and I quickly put my cell away.

Pierre: *Comes to stand right by me and holds up his hand for a high-five* “Sup?”

Me: *High-five* “Hey!” XD

Pierre: *High-fives another group and comes back to me when I asked him to sign my CD booklet. My BFF returns with a bottle of water she is trying to open* “What’s your name?”

Me: “Cat. With a "C”… C-A-T…“ (No, I don't think Pierre is dumb. What ends up happening a lot when someone asks for my name is that they hear "Cath").

Pierre: *Looks to be thinking for a second and then personalizes autograph. It says "To Cat" with a little heart and his name* "There you go.”

Me: “Thanks!”

BFF to me: “Ugh! I can’t open this stupid bottle!” *Laughs*

Pierre: “Want me to open it for you?”

BFF: “…Ok.”

Pierre: *Easily gets cap off. My friend is a weakling, seriously.*

BFF: “Well that just makes me look bad.”

Me: “You’re supposed to say you loosened the cap for him first.”

Pierre: :D

Me to Pierre: “Hey!” (In a “I have a question” way)

Pierre: *Sort of jumps* (In a “Hey, alright, you’re like a foot away from me, I can hear you” way).

Me: “Do you guys play "Everytime” live?“

Pierre: "Yup! I play it on the acoustic.” *Air-guitars*

Me: “I don’t think you’ve ever played it here. That’s one of my favourite songs.”

Pierre: :)

We chatted a bit more about another song briefly and I asked how the tour had been going. He said the show that night had been their best so far. I said he had to say that, but he insisted it really was the best. (I still don't believe him, haha).

Pierre: *Fist bumps us* “Alright, well I’m going to go talk to these people for a bit and then we’ll round everyone up and get shit done.” (Meaning group pictures).
……………………………………………………………………………………………………………................

As you can see we didn’t talk to David again before the group pictures. He got a bit wrapped up in a conversation he was having with a group of fans while eating pizza. The group picture was probably the most surreal moment of the entire day because it was all of them together all at once. I must’ve looked nervous (I was) because they all smiled and Pierre held his arm open to me saying: “Come over here,” in a very welcoming way. They were hilarious throughout all the group pictures. At the beginning Jeff yelled: “QUIET,” and the room went silent because we thought he was serious. Pierre then added: “We need silence when we take pictures,” and the room cracked up.

I didn’t know where to put my right hand because Chuck was up against the wall, haha. I look a bit awkward in the picture too because I really didn’t want to mess it up (I tend to blink). The picture turned out pretty good though and I’ll share it with those who have battled through reading this novel by the end. I said “Thanks, guys!” and that was that.

The last chat of the evening with the band was with David after the group pictures. I still wanted him to sign my “Still Not Getting Any” CD booklet, so I tracked him down.

Me: “Hey, David, could you please sign my booklet?”

David: :) “Of course!” *Signs*

BFF: “Hey, where did you get the good stuff?” (He had a drink)

David: *Grins and signs cup with sharpie* “You want the rest?”

BFF: “What is it?”

David: “Don’t worry about it. Just drink it."

BFF: "No really, what is it?”

David: “Don’t worry about it. It’s a summer paradise.” ;)

Me: *Laughs* “No, seriously though, what’s in it?”

David: “Don’t worry about it!” :D
……………………………………………………………………………………………………………

And then the band left, each saying their farewell and thanks as they walked out the door. Best. Night. Ever. Not all bands take the time to greet their fans, let alone sit on the floor with you to have a chat, open your water bottle, care about your stupid bucket list, high-five or fist bump you at the most random moments, give you the rest of their drink or simply say: “Thank you.”

Thanks, SP! I’ve been a fan for 10 years. I’ll continue to be a fan for 10+ more!

Moi et Simple Plan group picture!
July 23rd, 2016 at 06:58am