It's Now or Never – Back to School for the Big Master's Degree

I know I haven't blogged in awhile. Most of you probably thought I fell off the face of the Earth but there has been an insane amount of stuff going on.

Image


Here's the short list
  • Grandma had surgery
  • Costco Demos at work
  • Taking on Cision at work
  • Being told I'm not good enough at work
    Apparently I'm not creative
  • Trying to find time for my friends
  • Dealing with Grandpa's bad days
  • Trying not to let depression take over my life



But the most important thing that has been going on is... I'm going back to school! At least, I think I am.

I haven't fully made the decision, but I have a meeting it was supposed to be today at 1pm EST on Thursday with my old Creative Writing professor who is actually a really good friend of mine now. Dr. Hammond, after hearing I intended to go back to school for another Bachelor's, told me to come see her about a Masters in Creative Writing (MFA). I talked to the HR department and... I have the opportunity to receive $5,000 per calendar year and $100 toward books for each course.

This is a big step for me. It's been four years since I graduated with my Bachelor's in Liberal Studies through the Palmetto Program at USC - Columbia. I'm freaking about because, well, what if I flunk out of writing?

Image


The only think that I've ever been truly great at is writing fiction. I cannot flunk out of creative writing because what/who am I without it? I am not just a writer. I live the writer lifestyle. It's the only thing that keeps me going during tough times (and trust me, there has been a lot of tough times).

Image


I want to do this! But can I do this?

A lot of people believe in me. A woman who I met during a writer's group that got canceled due to our leader's personal problems a couple years ago told my mother that the first time she heard me read my story (it was Just a House) I gave her chills. She said she'd never heard someone with more passion, and I had a lot of talent. She told my mom that she knew I would do great things.

My mom... You guys know I'm the product of a single mother, and instead of her telling me to go out and find a real job/something to pay the bills... My mom hugged me and told me (when I made the decision to major in English/Writing) to do what made me happy. She told me not to worry about the little things because I was good at what I did.

Image


My best friend from high school read her first born child a short story I wrote for him every night until he was a year old. She believed in me that much. I still tell my friend's (from middle school) daughter bedtime stories twice a week when she calls.

Image


*Sigh*... My point is, I am terrified and excited. I could become something great or I could fall on my face. This is the time. Like my grandma said this morning. "Lu, if you don't go back now, you won't go back at all. You're in your mid-twenties, and it's now or never."

Image


Wish me luck; I'll keep you guys posted.
August 16th, 2016 at 10:16pm