Food, Textbooks, and Classes, Oh My!

Current Song: "Come a Little Bit Closer" by Jay and the Americans

Since yesterday was my birthday, I decided to treat myself and buy a bunch of snacks for school. Last year I went to school without any and it sucked. I spent so money on the convenient store when food in stores like Target was surprisingly cheaper. Plus, Target has a wider variety. So I went crazy. Chips, crackers, Gushers, you name it. I spent about $35 and then treated myself with $20 worth of clothes.

Can we all just sit down and complain about textbooks? I need 6 this year. 3 are for chemistry, 2 for anthropology, and 1 for my Italian film class. I can't get my chemistry textbooks from Amazon because 1 comes with an online code (and even if I do get the book from a friend I'll have to spend the same amount on the code alone) and the other two are specific to my school. I was able to get the Italian one used for $4. But the anthro books I had to be new. Why? People selling them used were selling them for $50 dollars more than the original price. What? So I spent $80 dollars on a new textbook since that's better than a $130 textbook.

I hate textbook shopping. THEY'RE SO EXPENSIVE LIKE WHY. I spent $30 on my Folklore textbooks last year and I never used them. Never ever ever ever. Even though it was promised that we would. And 90% of the class was able to pass with an A without them so it's not like we even needed them for review. I hope I actually use these textbooks this year. If I just spent $80 for no reason I'll scream.

I switched out one of my classes. My original classes was Introduction to Italian Film. I tried switching it to Italian Culture but I had a class during the only time slot and plus, the teacher's score on Rate My Professor is horrendous. I'm going to have to take this class in the future, but this semester is extremely important so I'd rather have passable classes. I found Italian Film and the professor for this class has much better reviews and an even better score.

Scores
Italian Culture Prof: 2.4 out of 5.0
Romance Languages Prof: 3.7 out of 5.0
Italian Film Prof: 4.4 out of 5.0

And they all have about 10 reviews total. I chose Romance Languages initially because it sounded cool to learn the origins of languages. But after reading reviews and talking to some people, it turns out you need a hefty background on linguistics which I don't have. And his exams are totally unpredictable. Plus, Film has less required textbooks and it's cheaper so there's that.

So my classes for this semester are:
Music 113 - Performance in Music. 1 credit (nicknamed Clap for Credit).
-Wednesday 1:20 - 2:10
Chemistry 103 - General Chemistry I. 4 credits
-Lab Monday 2:25 - 5:25
-Lectures Tuesday & Thursday 1:00 - 2:15
-Discussions Wednesday & Friday 11:00 - 11:50
English 207 - Introduction to Creative Writing. 3 credits
-Wednesday 3:30-5:20
Anthropology 104 - Cultures and Ethnics. 3 credits
-Lectures Tuesday & Thursday 11:00 - 11:50
-Discussion Wednesday 9:55 AM - 10:45 PM
Italian 321 - Introduction to Italian Literature up to Renaissance. 3 credits
-Tuesday & Thursday 9:30 AM - 10:45 AM
Italian 460 - Italian Film. 3 credits
-Tuesday & Thursday 2:25 - 3:40

Tuesday and Thursday are pretty hefty. Whoops.

So that's that.

Ciao a tutti!

Current Song: "Dancing Queen" by ABBA (if you've never jammed to this and/or "Don't Stop Believing" by Journey, have you really lived?)
August 25th, 2016 at 12:23am