Housing Woes

Image


So my guy and I have been living in the same apartment for the last few years (ever since I finished grad school). We've been thinking/talking about moving/getting a better place now that we can afford it, but we weren't actually in any rush to do it. And then earlier this month, our landlord told us she wanted to do serious renovations on the house/apartment.

Image

^ My guy, when she told us we would have to move.

She gave us a choice of staying and living there through renovations or giving us time to find a new place (until January). If we decided to stay, she would be raising the rent starting in January. I mean, it was great that she gave us a lot of notice, but living through renovations (while still paying full rent) and then having to pay higher rent the next year for the same size and space just didn't make sense for us. So we decided to start looking for new places.

Image


The plan was to have something lined up for January.

That plan changed really abruptly.

We were talking with another friend early last week and she actually knew someone who was moving and leaving behind a really nice two bedroom (they were moving to a house because they've got kids and need more space). So my dude and I decided to go check it and and we loved it. The place is beautiful, it's close to where we work, and the rent is great (a little more expensive than what we were paying, but worth it).

The thing is, the owner was in talks with someone else who wanted to move in at the start of October - which would leave the owner without the income of September's rent - so he told us that if we were willing to move in sooner (for September), then we could have it.

Image


I spoke with our current landlord and she said it's not problem if we leave now. She wanted to do renovations and the sooner we move out, the sooner she can start. So we didn't lose any money (we got back our deposit and everything, and we don't have to pay September rent there) and we didn't end up leaving her in the lurch. On paper, it all worked out really well.

Image


The logistics of moving, though, Lord help us.

Packing up years of stuff. Quickly deciding what to keep and what to chuck. Renting a U-haul in peak-moving season. Fucking city being the city. Forwarding mail. Dealing with the power company, and the cable and internet guys. (And since our internet/cable cycle ends/begins on the 25th, we've been without since then. We decided to close off our account with the current company and try a new one at the new place.)

Image


I'm pooped! But I plan to kick back this long-weekend.

Image

Image
August 30th, 2016 at 10:19pm