native language and Her Joyous Self

The all so lovely native language placed in one of my contests with her entry All This Time, which is a short, bittersweet story about golden love. The story revolves around Lorenzo who had loved Roberta ever since their childhood days. I highly recommend giving this story a read (don’t forget to grab your tissues!). Now, on to the author herself (peep that title hehe) Image
___
MIBBA RELATED:

Please tell the world of Mibba your name, username (the origins of it) zodiac sign and how you came upon Mibba!
My name is Joy, which is funny because I’m depressing af. My username is native language because languages have always fascinated me, so I knew I wanted to have something that reflected that in my username. I’m not sure how I eventually settled on that one, though. I’m a Sagittarius, which I think has something to do with the horseguy with the bow and arrow? I’m not big on astrology, unfortunately. I came across Mibba through my trusty pal Google. I was looking for a website where I could write original fiction, and everything about Mibba seemed so enticing. I’m very happy that I found it.

What are you hoping to get out from your experience with Mibba? (become known or)
Mainly I hope to improve as a writer, but I want to help other people do the same, too. I never really wrote when I was younger, so I think I’m still trying to figure out how I write, what my voice is, and Mibba is helping me explore that.

Give me a list of your favorite stories and authors! AYE, NAME DROP THOSE PEEPS.
Right now I’m really loving Sarajevo Burning by exploding boy. and Like This, You Keep Them Alive by kaz brekker. The quality of writing is unreal, like, seriously. Some older stories that I really love are Cerulean Boy by paper bag. and Planets in a Row by nebulas.

Sam’s Comment: THESE STORIES !! i love them all too hehe

What is the very first story you finished? What piece are you most proud of?
Rather embarrassingly, I don’t think I’ve ever finished a story that’s not a one-shot, not even out with Mibba. I have some serious commitment issues. I’m probably most proud of Mauricio, purely because of the effort I put into researching period of history in which it was set. I’m rewriting that now, though.

Promote your stuff! Give me some of your stories and why people should check it out! SHARE THE GOLD, PASS IT AROUND AAYYE.
The main piece I’ve been working on is Endless Numbered Days. In essence it is a love story, told in the style of a memoir by a dying man called Paolo who is terrified of forgetting about the great love of his life, Franco. Paolo recounts how they meet as teenagers in the late 1970s, through the ups and downs of the 80s, to Franco’s death in the early 90s. It’s about two people facing their mortality, prioritising what is important in life and discovering what love really is.

I’ve also been working on an update for Marseille. It follows two men, Nacer and Antoine, who are very much products of their surroundings. The primary focus is on Nacer, a French Algerian chef who struggles with his identity amongst a growing wave of Islamophobia in his country and his own internalised fear and self-loathing over his sexuality.

Both deal with pretty heavy subject matter at times, but check them out if either sounds interesting!

Sam’s Comment: sounds amazing! Can’t wait to read these!!

What is one thing you do to shake (I shake it) off writer's block?
Either I listen to music – usually from the country and time period of what I’m writing, for some reason – or watching documentaries, which is how I get most of my story ideas. I never force myself to write, though. If I’m not feeling it, I don’t do it. No wonder I don’t finish anything, ha!

Have you joined any contests lately?
Recently I joined the All Around the World contest. I’m super excited to read all the entries because I love reading about different places.

KILL, KISS, KARDASHIAN! (Bwahahah) Give me a friend from Mibba, animal, and celebrity who you would kill, kiss or see them as a Kardashian family.
I’ll pick Rylee (aliens.) who is currently at the top of my friends list, a cat and Tom Hanks. Kardashian, kiss and kill, in that order. Sorry, Tom, I love you really!

___
GETTING TO KNOW THE INNER YOU: (random questions)

Go to your phone's album and scroll to the 175th picture. Describe and tell me about it.
It’s my best-friend sticking her middle finger up at me at a house party. How charming!

What's the most embarrassing thing you done in your college/high school career?
I decked it down the lecture hall stairs on my first induction day at university. It was actually quite spectacular. I really went above and beyond my usual levels of embarrassment.

Give me two truths and one lie and I'll try to guess which one is the lie.
I share my birthday with Pope Francis. I failed Higher Physics. I have 16 cousins.

Sam’s Comment: 16 cousins sounds like a lie~ the number is too specific Image

Who/what is your spirit animal?
My spirit animal is a giraffe. We’re both just too awkwardly tall for this life.

Are you more of a chicken nugget or chicken strip kind of person? (If you are vegan or vegetarian, I'm sorry for this question.)
Chicken nuggets, all the way!

What is your go-to outfit or article of clothing?
I have these high-waisted jeans from ASOS that I love. Also my bomber jacket from New Look.

What shows have you binge watched this year?
Still Game! It’s a Scottish comedy show about pensioners and it is utterly hilarious. I used to get so excited watching it when I was younger because I recognised the high rise flats in the background of some of the scenes, haha. Ever since it was announced that they’d be making more episodes after a nine-year hiatus, I’ve been binge watching all of them. I also recently binge watched Bad Education on Netflix, as well as Gavin and Stacey.

What was your last text message and who did you send it to?
‘I can work’ to my boss. Sums up my social life.

___
Thanks for letting me interview you, Joy!!!
August 31st, 2016 at 06:48am