Childhood Memories

I've been meaning to start the blog prompt-a-thon prompts for the last 12 days and classic me procrastinated until now. BUT NONETHELESS. I've decided to start with the my childhood prompt.

My childhood was interesting, I guess you could say.

My parents had my sister and I when they were 22, so quite young. My mom was about to start university but ended up putting it of indefinitely for us, and my dad hadn't gotten much of an education so they weren't really well off. Eventually my dad ended up getting into drugs and alcohol and he left when I was 3.

Fast forward a bit, my mom met my stepdad, who was a relatively normal human until my mom had my brother, and then all hell broke loose. I'm gonna give you a detailed account of my shitty childhood experiences, but he was super abusive and my mom didn't end up getting out of the relationship until I was about 13.

BUT my childhood wasn't all bad. My favourite childhood memory was the summer trips my sister and I would take with my grandparents. We would drive around 12 hours from my hometown to the Island/BC with a camper and stop in all these great places. We had done it quite a few times and went to all the same campgrounds and visited a bunch of family the whole way there.

My grandpa never liked to play music while he was driving, so my sister and I would come up with all these obnoxious songs to sing until he got sick of us and would finally turn on music. We kept "journals" every summer and documented all the things we were doing, which my grandma still has. We went to beaches and collected sand and sea shells and took tons of pictures with disposable cameras.

The trips usually lasted a few weeks and I looked forward to them so much. They always made sure we got to do anything we wanted and I loved it. It was so warm and we were in the mountains for most of the trips and ah. It was great.
September 12th, 2016 at 08:26am