Case of the Emphatic English Teachers

Image


I've been lucky enough to have quite a few great teachers. I've had a lot of teachers who loved their jobs and cared about their students. I've had teachers who hated their jobs and cared about their students. I've had teachers who loved teaching but didn't care for the subject they had to teach. All-in-all, generally good experiences.

My three most memorable (favorite) teachers were English teachers. The first was my high school freshman English teacher. I was lucky enough to get Mr. C in his final year before retirement - which, I think, gave him the freedom to be the kind of teacher he always wanted to be. He obviously enjoyed literature and talking to students. He was funny and sarcastic. He really allowed students to talk about literature, rather than just read and regurgitate information.

The second was my high school senior English teacher. Mr. S was fairly young - probably no older than 30/35. I actually had him for both semesters senior year - for Speech (which he made bearable) and for Literature. Like Mr. C, Mr. S was really passionate about literature. He was one of the teachers who loved what he was teaching and who wanted his students to love it too.

The third was my first English professor in university. I was 'randomly' assigned to his course for English 101 (which was basic English Composition) and then I chose his course for the next level of English (I don't remember the exact title of the glass). In the second course I took with him, we actually read his novel which was fine as far as novels go, but actually hearing the author talk about his own work really made all the difference.

Notable Mentions

World History professor sophomore year of university: I don't think I'd ever seen him use the text book. He basically lectured from memory all class, every class. But he was so interested in history, he made it interesting. We were all really listening to what he was saying and I learned a lot.

Algebra(?) teacher freshman year of high school: The math teacher I had the second semester of my freshman year of high school was mess. He was the king of getting off topic. His rambles were always interesting though. So even though I hardly even learned any math, I did learn a lot about other stuff.
September 25th, 2016 at 10:54pm