My Entire State Lost Power Today

First world problems, I know.

But this was still sort of scary. My friend was supposed to be staying for dinner but we literally had nothing to do. We couldn't see our puzzle under the candle light and our dinner was raw... lol.

My state generates no power of its own (or very little? I'm not sure) and today we had a HUGE storm. We typically don't get too many severe weather warnings. No hurricanes, no earthquakes, etc. So naturally, no one was prepared.

Like, some of our hospitals lost power. Which is pretty bad.

I think what made things 1000 times worse was the fact that half an hour after the power went out, the battery backups for the mobile phone towers were starting to die out. This meant that no one could text or get online. And of course landlines were useless.

I don't think I've been without the internet/a phone since I was younger, before we had the internet haha.

This is what my city looked like earlier. Most of the power is back up now, thankfully.

Image


For contrast, this is what it is supposed to look like:
Image


Kinda cool. I think the country areas of the state are still without power and apparently some are without water as the pumping stations aren't working in some areas. Hopefully the state learns from this...
September 28th, 2016 at 04:48pm