Sweet Christmas

Image


I spent the weekend binge watching the entire season of Marvel's Luke Cage with my dude and what a marvelous weekend it was.

Going into it, I told myself I would take my time and spread out the series for at least a month. That was a lie. By the time I got to episode 4, I knew that was it. I knew I would finish the whole thing. I watched 'til the end of episode 9 on Saturday and we finished it off on Sunday. Now, once again, there's a big black Marvel abyss in my life and I just have to sit here and wait until Marvel decides to through me another bone.

I love the MCU but generally, when it comes to the movies, there's often a lot left to be desired. For me, that has never been the case with Marvel on Netflix. Both seasons of Daredevil, Jessica Jones, and now Luke Cage have been near perfection and I cannot wait for whatever they're coming out with next (I think it's Iron Fist).

Luke Cage exceeded my expectations. Up til now, while I've really enjoyed Daredevil and Jessica Jones, I still wasn't actually interested in the Defenders series Marvel has planned for Netflix. All the heroes together as a group just didn't really excited me. But, I don't know, there's something about Luke Cage's story that really pulled the idea together for me. After watching, I'm actually really interested in what The Defenders might have to offer.

Luke Cage is great for a lot of reasons, the cinematography was great, the story-telling was great, the character development was great, Claire Temple (!), Misty Knight (!), Shades (my baby Juice!), and Luke Cage himself. The message was wonderful. There's a point in the last episode (or maybe the next to last episode) where the community is coming together in support of Luke Cage that just made my heart swell. Women of color in positions of power and authority. Trained police officer Misty Knight kicking ass. Nurse Claire Temple kicking ass (and her thing the end - CLAIRE WHAT ARE YOU UP TO!). Misty Knight in that final scene!!!

Anyway. If you haven't watched Marvel's Luke Cage yet, stop wasting time and go do it.

(I think I'm going to re-watch the other Marvel series.)
In other TV news, I watched Conviction last night - which stars Hayley Atwell (who played Agent Carter in the MCU). I actually really liked it. Her character is kind of a brat but I'm assuming she gets better about it as time goes on. It's produced (I think) by the same people who did Criminal Minds (which I love) and so far, I like the story-telling.
October 5th, 2016 at 04:32am