Building Walls (Election 2016)

As most of you know, the United States is very possibly about to enter an extremely dark time. I don't really feel like hashing it out with anyone anymore because I've fought with everyone about it over the past few days and I'm drained, but I want to come in and I want to offer encouragement to anyone who feels down bout this election. These are my tips for surviving the next 4-8 years.

This is not the time to lie down and take whatever's coming. Our ancestors- the black people before us, the Hispanic/Latinx people before us, the women before us, and LGBT people before us had to fight, and we will do the same. They did not lay down their lives for all of our rights to be ripped away from some Cheeto in a wig. They fought and we will do the same. Hillary won the popular vote in this country, meaning that even if it's just by a small margin, the majority of the people in this country are on our side of history. Find them, love them, lift them up and surround yourself with these people.

Educate yourself. Soak up every bit of information about this country and how it works and how the people in it work. Arm yourself with knowledge. When the next election comes, make damn sure you know exactly who and why and what you're voting for. Encourage those around you to do the same.

Donate to charities that support your beliefs(i.e Planned Parenthood, The Happy Hippie Foundation, etc.). You cannot possibly fight the establishment as a single human being yourself. Most of those companies cannot fight the establishment without your support. Combine your efforts and donate so that you can be a part of the change and you can enable companies to be the change.

Lastly, protest. Peacefully, and never violently because we as the change in this country will represent what we want to see, we will not mirror the other side and match their hostility and anger. Protest peacefully, and encourage others too as well. Stage sit-ins, stage walk-outs, whatever you have to do, but exercise the rights your founding fathers fought for you to have.

I'm gonna leave you with this quote because yesterday, as I spent the whole day crying over the fact that hate had won, this put a smile on my face. "If your generation votes to build a wall, I want you to know that my generation will be strong enough to tear it down."(apologies for not recalling who this quote belongs to). Hate will not win. I'm deciding right now that I'm going to refuse to let hate win. My voice was not loud enough to be heard in this election, but it will be so loud that it echoes moving forward. I love you guys. Stay strong.
November 10th, 2016 at 05:24pm