Relearning Left

Preface: When I was a young kid (2 years old), my mom decided that I should go to one of the many private preschools around the town. I ended up going to a Methodist preschool that was a few blocks away (my family is not Methodist, they just had really good reviews). Anyway, as a child, I was always left-handed. I did everything left-handed, and my family made no move to correct it. I've read some terrible stories of people trying to 'correct' their child's left-handedness.

So, I had just turned two, and was off to my first day of preschool. I don't really remember anything, besides stories that I heard from my parents, but my run-in with the 'teachers' there (and I use this term lightly. They weren't actual teachers, just people who volunteered) did not go down very well. They decided right off the bat that my left-handedness was a sin, and needed to be corrected lest I die and go to Hell (actual words from them).

They brought on their reign of the worst things they could. I was forced to only write with my right hand, and I was punished if I tried to write with the other one. It was, as my parents described it, one of the worst situations of my young childhood. But, I can give them credit for one thing, they did their job well.

I'm now right-handed, but can still write fairly clearly with my left hand. I've read quite a few articles on the psychological effects of being forced to write with your non-dominant hand. So, I'm attempting to relearn how to write with my left hand (at an acceptable pace, and readability), and then hopefully switch back to writing with that hand.
December 9th, 2016 at 05:53pm