Never the Best

Have you ever thought to yourself; “I’m actually pretty decent at this one thing,” only to discover someone else who is better at this one thing? I have and the first few times I encountered this I was able to let it go, but today while watching the latest episode of Teen Wolf it hit me; I’m never the best.

I’m not the best Teen Wolf fan, because I keep forgetting what the name of Stiles his Jeep is.

That is the thought that made me think about what I am actually good at. I used to believe I was actually a pretty decent writer, until I stumbled upon Mibba and discovered I am shit. I used to believe I was actually a pretty good singer, until I heard a friend of mine sing. I used to believe I was a pretty good fan girl, until I discovered Tumblr. All of these things that I believe I am good in, all seemed to fall short in comparison to other people their abilities.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s not as though I now believe that I am a horrible writer, singer and fan girl, because none of that is the case. I just believe I am not the best at something, which some of you might laugh at and think that this is such a silly thing to want in life, but I have many friends who are all good at something.

I have a friend who can wear whatever she wants without it looking funny or outdated. I have another friend who is the best mother hen, and she’s able to help anyone with anything. She’s extremely good at putting things in perspective. I have friends who are great at being themselves, regardless of what society thinks. Friends who are amazing at drawing, writing and playing various music instruments. My baby brother is amazing at playing video games, while I have a friend who is amazing at board games. He’s also really skilled when it comes to snappy one liners and sharp come backs.

Me? I feel as though I am the best at staying in bed and feeling absolutely horrible about myself. Though, even that I am not the best at because I know people with severe depression who really cannot drag themselves out of bed, even if they wanted too. I can get out of bed, I just feel I have no reason too.

Now, this might all seem as an overreaction, especially since this all arose during an episode of Teen Wolf, but I cannot shake the feeling that I am not alone in this.

So, here is my question: What do you feel you are good at? Maybe even the best at?

Recently I have discovered that I am a really good granddaughter to my grandmother, and my mom keeps saying I make a pretty great daughter. I guess I’ll just have to take her word for it.
December 20th, 2016 at 01:28pm