Dear 2016

Dear 2016,

You were a right pain in my ass! I know a lot of people are very disappointed in you, and unfortunately I’m joining this crowd. Agreed, you weren’t all bad, but you took too much and returned only a little. This year you took someone very important away from me, my grandfather. His health wasn’t perfect, but his loss is still greatly felt by me, my family and especially my grandmother. Then you decided to take my dog from me, a light that had been in my life for fourteen years. My mental health declined heavily, to a point where I saw myself struggling with, I wouldn’t say suicidal thoughts, but the idea of vanishing from the face of the earth. Friendships have wavered, doubts have grown and I basically felt shit for the largest part of the year.

You weren’t all bad, as I’ve stated before. I graduated and was praised for my tenacity as I struggled a lot with my migraines and mental health during my studies. I moved out of my parent’s house and moved in with my boyfriend, though I do still miss my mom. I went to New York, which was something I wanted to do ever since I was a young teenage girl. I had no problems with my mental health while I was there, and had a week filled with excitement and joy. My grandmother and I grew closer, and we’ve established a friendship alongside our family bond.

I must say that I am excited to see your older brother 2017 roll around the corner. I’m not sure if he’ll treat me better than you did, but only time can tell. I hope I’ll be able to write more, enjoy my life more and let go off things that happened in my past. I don’t have any goals set in stone, as I already know this will result in instant failures. I will try more, dare more, dream more.

To conclude, 2016, thank you and lets not to that again sometimes. You were a really rough lesson that I had to learn and hopefully 2017 will give me room to breathe and heal.

Bye,
Bekah
January 1st, 2017 at 11:56pm