2017 Resolutions

Happy New Year, friends.

My New Years Eve was spent watching Rogue One, hanging out with some friends in the city, driving out to my boyfriend's grandparents' house and hanging out with them, and then going to play board games with a bunch of friends until 2017 hit. It was the first time in a long time that I've actually been around people I genuinely want to be around when midnight hit and it was great.

Normally I'm not the type of person that's like "this is gonna be my year!" and all that, but something about where I was this year and how I felt when 2016 turned to 2017 makes me think that maybe this year is gonna be a little bit better. So I've decided to make a bit of a resolutions list this year, to try and get my life going in the direction that I want it to.

I've made resolutions before and I never follow through with them, but I've decided to make them more broad and sort of open-ended, I guess, so that I'll start to form habits and learn new things instead of trying to focus on specific goals. I dunno, we'll see how it works out.

Drink More Water

Being healthier is always a goal of mine, but I have so many bad habits, that trying to change all of them to become that ~perfect healthy person just crashes and burns every time. So I want to just work on drinking more water and less sugary things for now, and then once I achieve that I'll more on from there. Usually when I'm in school I'm good at drinking water, but at home I never do so that's what I'm gonna work on first.

Learn to Crochet and Cross-Stitch

I already know how to knit, but I've been wanting to learn to crochet for a while now so I can make blankets and scarves and stuff more easily. All I need is a proper crochet hook (someone gave me one but it's tiny) and some yarn and I'll be good to go. I used to know how to cross stitch, but it's been a long time and I don't have anything I need for it, so that one might take a little longer. My boyfriend wants a little cross-stitched Halo thing so I wanna try and make it for him before our one year anniversary in May. We'll see how that goes.

Learn French

This is something that I've wanted to do for years, but I never go through with it because I'm always too busy. But I'm gonna make more of an effort this year, even if it'll be a slow process because of school. I took one year of French in high school and then switched to Spanish (because it was easier) and then immediately forgot anything I learned about both languages as soon as a graduated. But since French is the second official language in Canada and my boyfriend is French, I feel like it would be useful to me.

Practice More Self-Care

I have a bad habit of getting really stressed and anxious about things and then making myself sick because of it. I forget to eat a lot, don't sleep as much as I should, and don't take enough breaks when I'm doing things. So this year I'm going to make sure to take small breaks when I feel too stressed, make sure I get a decent amount of sleep so that I can function, and eat actual meals instead of tiny snacks or shitty food. And take more baths, baths are good.

Stay Caught Up in School

This has been a really big struggle for me this school year. I've been feeling insanely burnt out and just done with this entire year, and my grades are definitely reflecting that. I'm really hoping this new year means a better outlook on school and more relaxation so that I can stay on top of things and not feel so overwhelmed. I know it's gonna be a struggle but I'm really determined to do well this semester.

Do More Baking and Cooking

My boyfriends mom gave me a bunch of mixing bowls, measuring cups, and a cookie recipe book for Christmas, so I want to learn how to bake really well. I already have the basics down, but you can only make so many chocolate chip cookies before you wanna graduate to something different. I also wanna learn how to cook better. I can make really basic things, but I want to be able to make meals and cook meat without making it dry and gross and be able to just take whatever I have in the fridge and turn it into food. I feel like as a 22 year old I should be able to do that already but we all gotta start somewhere.

I think that's a good group of resolutions. I feel like, with the broadness of them, I should be able to stick to them at least a little bit.

I'm excited for this year, guys. I think it'll be pretty great.
January 3rd, 2017 at 01:34am