In Need of Advice

Hey friends,

Long time, no see, huh? Life got in the way, as it always does, what with my finishing last semester and all. But hi, I'm back and I need some advice.

Long story short, I started a dating website account. The 'why' of it doesn't matter a whole lot, but yeah, moving on~

I started a dating website account. 200 people wanted to meet me within eight hours of my making this account. I think I got a total of twenty messages, more or less, within that time span and it was mostly dodging guys looking for a quick hookup.

Then I get a message from this one guy -- let's call him Mike (not his real name). Mike has been messaging me on every. single. dating website that I've ever been on. Somehow, he managed to find my account and message me there, on any and every site. I never thought anything of it and the conversation never went far bc I never found anything in common with him. Sorry, but not really? That's just how it is. I'm not even going to attempt to date someone if we have nothing in common.

So this time, I give him a chance. We start talking and he tells me, "I'm disappointed that we've been speaking these previous times and nothing came of it. You're the kind of person I can see myself being with for the rest of my life."

Uh, fella. You've spoken to me for maybe five minutes and you're already spewing the "rest of my life" stuff? Again, like the idiot that I am, I think nothing of it. And when he asks me if I want to meet up, I tell him that I'd love to. Why? Bc I'm stupid, that's why.

I immediately regretted my decision bc what the actual fuck? I should've blocked him straight away bc that is so creepy. You've never met me in person, my profile is about 1% of my whole being and personality -- and you jump to this conclusion? Yikes. Big Yikes.

He then asks me for my number, to which -- you guessed it -- I give to him. Like a DAMN idiot. :D

The conversation starts off casually, then he starts with asking me about my family, school, whatever else. I come to find out that he's a Sephardic Jew, he's religious, and that he belongs to several Jewish organizations.

Hold it right there. I'm an Ashkenazi Jew, I'm not religious, and the only time I've ever been to temple was once a week during elementary and middle school. This is already proving to be a problem -- Sephardic and Ashkenazi Jews have different mentalities. Not to say that it's a bad thing, but that's just how it is. My mom's best friend is Ashkenazi and her ex-husband was/is Sephardic and it just did not work. That's not uncommon for that to happen.

As for the religious aspect, I'm not interested in going to temple bc that's just how I was raised. We observe the holidays, and that's it. I don't belong to any organizations bc again, I'm not that kinda person.

Anyways, the conversation goes on -- what's your fave books/movies/what to do you like to do/where's your family from? etc. The usual.

This might be unneeded information, but while we were talking, I deleted my profile. Then he sends me (literally five minutes later), "Did you delete your profile?"

How...how did you know that...? I guess he went on my profile or something, but just...???? How?!?!?!

So I send him, "Yeah. I did."

So he sends me:

Image

Like, that's really sweet. It is, but...like, idk. It's still a little creepy and I haven't the foggiest why. Anyways. He then asks about my previous relationships. I tell him that I've never been in a relationship, to which he replies,

Image

Awk moment when looks have nothing to do as to whether or not I've been in a relationship before. Still a bit creepy, but the conversation goes on. Then he sends me this,

Image

At this point, I don't answer bc I really have no idea what to say. Additionally, I'm not looking forward to meeting him at all bc I don't want to. The things he says, as nice as they are, are lowkey creepy. Idk if he means to be, bc he's really nice, but still, that's how it comes off.

I didn't reply yesterday and he didn't message me again until this evening. He messages me, "Hey you." Is it just me or is hey, you something you say to your s/o?

"Hi!" I reply, even tho I want to throw up. He asks me what I'm doing. I say I'm with the fam on the Strip. To which he replies,

Image

That's nice and all, but... what I mean by 'idk what my schedule looks like is' that i have no idea what i'm doing for the WHOLE DAY. Lunch, dinner, brunch, second dinner, supper -- doesn't matter.

I don't reply anymore. Now I'm really out of options. I have no idea how to reply or even if I want to. I honestly don't want to meet him or even text him anymore. But of course, it comes full circle when my parents come into the picture.

My parents want me to be in a relationship. They think that it'll make me less anxious and depressed. Uh, I'm sorry, but that's literal garbage. What's worse is that a s/o would make things worse. Having a partner in my life won't make anything better; it won't make me less anxious af to leave the house or it won't magically cure my depression enough not be, well, depressed.

I've always been a lone wolf; I've always liked being alone. I was never one of those little girls who imagined their ultimate Disney Princess weddings and wanted a prince and wanted to be a princess. I never liked hanging out with people or going to parties -- what will an s/o change? Nothing. Nothing at all. It's beyond flawed to think that way.

On the other hand, I would've given him a chance if he wasn't so eager and pushy to meet. I've texted loads of guys from these sites and they start off nice, then they get really eager and pushy. I talk to them via text for a while for my safety. I'm not going to meet some random stranger the day I start talking (which is what a lot of these dudes want) bc I'd rather get to know who they are within a virtual setting first. The pushy thing is just a real turn off to me -- if we hadn't even met yet in person and he's already pushy, he's probably going to be pushy in person.

Additionally, the fact that he kept telling me that I'm the type of person that he can see himself being with for the rest of his life. Like, bro...we haven't met yet. When people start like this, it makes me panic.

I just haven't the foggiest what to do -- do I block him without saying anything or do I continue ignoring him or do I bite the bullet and go out with him? Please help. :(
January 8th, 2017 at 04:56am