Women's March Around the World

Image

Yesterday a questionable man was sworn into the highest office in the United States of America. A few days before he was sworn in he made cuts to programs aimed at helping victims of domestic violence and assault. So for those of you who think women have nothing to be mad about in 2017, think again. These women are marching and chanting in major cities all around the world because they feel their civil rights will be put through a blender under the new administration. I wanted to take a moment today to acknowledge why it is these movements are happening. This isn’t about winning and losing, this isn’t about not knowing how to lose gracefully; this is bigger than that.

Women and minorities were among the most targeted during Trump’s aggressive campaign. If the president of the United States can’t respect women and show us he isn’t who we think he is to us he is not much of a leader. I’m going to break it down; his new secretary of education doesn’t believe in public schooling and has been known to push an educational voucher program instead, she believes in privately funded education her name is Betsy Devos. He also appointed Ben Carson as head of the housing department. Ben Carson has no experience in that field. Jeff Sessions as attorney general, this is a big deal because Mr. Sessions has been documented saying very inflammatory, racist remarks. He would be in charge of our civil rights laws. Yes, CIVIL RIGHTS LAWS. To overlook this piece of information is to be gullible.

Image

Rex W. Tillerson will be secretary of state. Yes, the EXXON mobile conglomerate will be in charge overseeing alliances with other nations. Just yesterday curiously any mention of climate change disappeared from the official white house page. I find this curious because it shows a conflict of interest already taking shape in this administration not to mention his unspecified ties to Russia. So you see this march isn’t about throwing a tantrum. These people have valid concerns over the new administration. Countries all over the world are chiming in about what huge mistake they think making a reality TV star president, is. I have no problem with Republicans you have every right to have your own political views but please don’t let your party come before your country.

What I find even more frightening is that Donald J. Trump himself is promoting the idea that the media can’t be trusted, that they are fake news. So now whenever his supporters read something about him they don’t like they’re calling it fake news. There’s a very easy way to determine if something is factually backed or a complete fabrication. Journalists are required to present sources with every article they write in order to prevent plagiarism and promote ethical news broadcasting. There is a section in every article that has links to sources and where the information originated. I find it completely insulting that they refuse to do this instead of just calling it fake without checking first but will wholeheartedly share a link to a scandalized Breibart article because “Hillary Clinton regularly goes to a pizza shack to molest children.” Yes, that’s exactly what was said on one of those sites and because of it an armed man went in that business threating people. This is what happens when people don’t fact check. This was a false conspiracy that could’ve cost people their lives. In Trump’s America it is important to remain objective.

Image

References

New York Times, 2017 retrieved from https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/us/politics/donald-trump-administration.html?_r=0
Snopes, 2016 retrieved from
http://www.snopes.com/pizzagate-conspiracy
January 21st, 2017 at 10:33pm