Wrongful Termination

Have you ever had something done to you by someone that you felt was just so wrong and then something bad ends up happening to them later? I love karma. I'm a firm believer in it. Last week, my former manager got himself a heaping dose of karma and I just think it's the best thing to have ever happened to someone I disliked.

So let's start from the beginning. On Sunday the 15th, I received a call while at work from this woman who is part of a large group of golfing ladies. I call her the wine lady because not only is she always asked whether or not we have wine, she complains so much if we don't. Well, on the 15th, we didn't have any which is what I told her. She, as usual, asked for my manager and I told her I hadn't seen him since Wednesday but when he did come in, I would let her know. Apparently, after we hung up, she went and wrote an email to my manager and our general manager that basically got my manager in trouble which obviously wasn't my intention.

Now we move on to Monday morning. I'm laying in bed with my daughter and my manager calls me and tells me not to come in until the following Monday. Now, I literally work seven days a week in order to save up for when my son is born so I was confused because he knew I was doing this. I texted him asking why I couldn't come in. When he didn't answer, I texted him again asking what was his reason for taking seven days of pay away from me and he answered back saying he had reports from customers about me and that my coworkers said I kept falling asleep in our breakroom which has plenty of cameras to prove that he was lying.

When I responded with a thank you for telling me about the complaints and also telling him that the sleeping thing was false, I pointed out that it's still not a good reason to take seven days away from me and he told me that I was to come in on Tuesday and sign termination papers. So I told him I wouldn't sign anything because it was obvious that he was firing me for no reason and that I would need to see video proof of his accusations and any sign of him ever speaking to me about customer complaints such as a write up. Of course after I mentioned proof, he said I had gotten three write ups in three days and I was to sign them along with my termination papers (as if I were that stupid).

I of course didn't come in to sign anything. Instead, I went to workforce to figure out what was going on. This was considered wrongful termination due to it being obvious that he was retaliating against me for accidentally getting him into trouble and also because I'm only two months away from my delivery date so it looks like he's firing me to get out of paying maternity leave or whatever.

Now, I'm patient when it comes to things like paperwork and such so they gave me the complaint form and advised me to speak to a lawyer ASAP. Well, I was going to wait until this past Monday so that I could go and speak with the wine lady (they play every Monday). I wanted to get a copy of the email she sent out as further prove of his retaliation but come Monday morning, my coworker called me to tell me that the owners had fired our manager for his incompetence and that they had no idea I had even been fired.

So to cut the story short, he might have taken seven days worth of pay from me but I got the last laugh as he was canned and I'm still fully employed and the owners even paid me an extra two days on my check to make up for the loss!

That was the first time that I had ever been fired - or almost fired - from a job and it was heartbreaking. I love working at a golf club, I like most of my coworkers, and I like the owners. I'm so glad that I got to come back and work as I have a great schedule that works well with my boyfriend's so that we don't need a babysitter or daycare. It's really just nice that karma had my back in this situation.

Has anyone else ever been wrongfully terminated?
January 30th, 2017 at 03:43am