My Theory of a Work-Life Balance

I know a lot of people that will do nothing but work, they dont have much of a life, its not very nice to say but its true. Some of my friends have been in a relationship their entire life, dont get me wrong, relationships are gold, I miss mine, I do... but at the same time every single person needs to experience heartbreak in order to grow, it makes you stronger and it makes you who you are.

I dont know why I feel so strongly about it, I know my Mum is the biggest advocate of this approach to life.
It started when Amy broke up with me 2/3 years ago, and opportunities came up to go to America for example and Mum said just do it, you are young once, you are free from adult life once, do it with no regrets. Every gig, every festival, every holiday that comes up, she will be the first person to say just do it - because one day I will be so busy with life that I wont be able to do these things anymore.

Ive been working a lot recently, every single day in the past month, aswell as the next 3 months, I will have work or uni, I will have the odd day off to myself where a client may call in sick, like today for example, but I still have uni to attend and work to do...
Recently it has been stressing me out, and although I was in Newcastle last week for a bit, it was for work purposes as the only reason I was there was for a course..... Im back to Newcastle in a couple of weeks for a gig to see the Kings of Leon, which will be seen as a proper getaway and crash to relax with Jack.
Dont get me wrong - I love work, and its not really work because I enjoy it so much, the money is alright aswell, Im earning a healthy profit from working minimal hours, so I can only imagine how successful this COULD become one day.

Life?
At the same time though, you only have one life, you have to live it by doing things that make you feel alive.
For me its gigs, travelling, seeing your friends from back home, going on long walks, having a drink at some random pub in the middle of nowhere. As Im getting older, things like this are slowly becoming less occasional - so Mum was right. But I still find time to do it.
You go away to do these things and you come back 10x more determined and motivated, refreshed you might say to get yourself back into work.

For me graduation is in May, so you can imagine, Im going all out this year.
In 2 weeks Im off to Newcastle to see Kings of Leon.
Then its 3 months of solid work.
In May Im off to Manchester to see The Courteeners with Jack for a long weekend, potentially seeing my team at Wembley aswell depending on how well they do....

In June, seeing as though theres nothing on, I may go home.

In July theres graduation, aswell as going to Paris with Jamie to see Coldplay, and a festival in Glasgow that Im going to whilst renting a house at the same time.

Having that balance between doing things like this, extreme fun you might argue, and then coming back into an extreme working passion of mine with being self employed, with no help or assistance is hard. Its needed.

Long term obviously it wont last forever, thats why Im doing all of this now because frankly, I can, and morbidly, Im not dead. A lot of people I know do sweet f*ck all but sit on their arse at homes on their day offs - plan something, go on a road trip with your pals, go to a gig, go to a festival, travel.
Cant afford it? Get a job, make a job, be creative.
Cant do that? Then you dont deserve to live a mental life and do all the things that a work-life balance brings you.
Its a cycle really.

xx
February 10th, 2017 at 12:01pm