I Hate My Job I Hate My Job I Hate My Job

I HATE IT!

Have you ever worked a job that you hated but you couldn't really figure out why? I have no reason to hate this job. It's in my dorm so all I have to do is roll out of bed. I got a raise. It's super flexible with my schedule. And it's a student custodian job so all I have to do is clean shit. I clean at home so I'm basically being paid to do my household chores now. Most of the people are great too and I'm genuinely good friends with them.

Recently I began to despise it. Last year it was just "oh I don't like it but I can deal with it." Now it's "I HATE IT AND I NEED TO FIND ANOTHER JOB NOW OR I'LL EXPLODE!"

I guess the repetitiveness is the first thing. Every damn Saturday I'm doing the same thing over and over. Cleaning bathrooms. On weekdays it's not as bad since I do one thing Monday, a different thing Wednesday, etc. But I'm still doing the same thing every Monday. Ya feel? I get bored all the damn time. That, and I finish my tasks way too early so I have to spend an hour walking around the building just to find something to do.

We can't sit around on the job which is completely understandable. But recently the student supervisors have been getting on our asses about it. I was scolded for sitting down once and you know what I was doing? Tying my shoe. My shoe. During the last 3-4 minutes of a shift people just wait around in the break room because there's nothing you can do in that short period of time. The student supervisors would even do it. But now they're getting angry at us for that too as they go ahead and do it themselves.

Last year we had a student supervisor who was ridiculously power hungry. He docked points from our evaluations for not dusting the fire alarms when none of us could reach them and the other supervisors said they weren't important. He assigned jobs to us that would take at least 30 minutes but he only let us do it in three. He never asked things politely. Everything was an order in an angry voice. Finally a friend got fed up with it and told him about it and then it turned into an argument. He's not in our unit anymore because even the building supervisor didn't like him.

Someone either lost or stole a set of keys so now we have sign-in sheets. Which is I get. I'm not going to complain about that (keys and our walkie-talkies are hella expensive). But the one time I checked out a set of keys another set goes missing. I signed my name and the set number on the sheet and when I put it back I crossed out my name. I did the procedure. But then the student supervisor of the day came up to me and started accusing me of stealing the other set. She kept asking, "Are you sure you didn't take anything?" and she would look at me with narrow eyes. The entire unit got quiet just to listen to us. I pointed out others have checked out keys too and not everyone was back from doing their tasks yet so I told her to calm down because I'm sure they would show up. She kept pestering me and finally I got so fed up with it that I walked her over to the key box and showed her my set. A minute later some of the people in the unit come back to their tasks and the keys show up.

The same student supervisor recently pissed me off about two weeks ago. I have never called in sick or came in late to work and I've been working this job since August 2015. Two weeks ago I took my friend out for her birthday and later that night I got food poisoning. I was puking up my food and then I started running a fever. The next morning I was going to try to come into work but I began dry heaving in the shower and my fever was back. I called in and went back to bed. My friend later informed me that the student supervisor didn't believe me and she was making sure everyone knew. Whenever someone calls in they say who the person is. She said my name and told everyone I was unconvincing. My friend said I was actually really sick because I was puking. The student supervisor said, "Oh. So she's hungover? Gotcha." This pissed me off because you can get in huge trouble if people find out you were lying on your call-in. I wasn't lying, but this student supervisor is the favorite throughout campus so people tend to believe everything she says. That, and after all I've fucking done for this job, this was how I was treated when I called in sick. My saltiness got to the point that my friend forced the student supervisor to apologize to me. She did apologize, I'll give her credit for that. She promised she did believe me and then asked if I was okay. I told her what happened and she actually said under her breath, "Oh. So she wasn't lying." Lol thanks.

After a while I thought my anger was unreasonable, but then I talked to a friend who is a student supervisor in another unit. She said that was a pretty shitty thing to happen and that my student sup shouldn't have told people. I began to realize I was angrier at the fact that it was that specific student supervisor who said it. We have a total of four and the other three it's kind of expected from. But this one is sweet most of the time and never talks bad about anyone.

I think the thing that tipped the iceberg was the new person they hired for a student supervisor position. One of my friends applied and he has been working here college began (August 2015 like me) and he works more hours than everyone in the unit (including the student supervisors). He's not a slacker either. He gets the best grades on evaluations and he genuinely enjoys the job unlike the rest of us. Somehow, he lost the position to a girl who had only been working the job for a month and is actually a pretty shitty worker. She hardly worked any hours and her evaluation scores weren't that great. I've worked with her a few times and she spent more time sitting around than actually trying to get the job done in a good way. I was so angry for my friend. He was pretty upset too. So now she's one of our higher ups and it's weird to be "taught" by her when you know more than she does simply from experience. I'm not going to throw a riot over this by any means and she's really trying her best. But I'm still irked.

These are petty reasons to hate a job and most of me is like, "Domi get over it this is the real world." But dear Lord. When I'm not at the job I'm like, "Huh. Yeah. Not a huge fan." But when I'm on the clock all I wanna do is sit around and just quit.

It's gotten to the point that the littlest things anger me. What happened today wouldn't have angered me in usual circumstances. In fact, I shouldn't even be irked by it now.

We have a break from 9:30-9:45 and we're allowed to go to the dining hall to get food. Last year, the rule was that you couldn't go until 9:27. At our latest meeting they said something along the lines of, "Hey we've been noticing you guys leaving early for food and that's interrupting work so just make sure you're leaving at a reasonable time." I figured 9:27 was reasonable so I headed out at that time. Someone mentioned we can't get food until 9:30 and I was like "wait when did this change." I stalled for a bit and then left at 9:29. The New Hire saw me and asked where I was going. I answered, "Um... food. It's after 9:27." Then she glared at me and said, "Remember our meeting? The new rule is 9:30." I feel like a shit person for rolling my eyes but I couldn't help it. I backtracked but then New Hire put on a sweet voice and she said, "No no it's okay you can get food now! Just remember for next time." THERE'S NO REASON FOR THIS TO IRK ME BUT IT DOES! Nobody was working from 9:27-9:30. Everyone just sat there.

New Hire also scold my friend today. New Hire said my name over the walkie-talkie. I was in the middle of something so my friend answered for me. She said, "This is Dom aka George. I'm finishing a task but I'll be down in a minute." (long story about the George name). New Hire basically screamed into the walkie-talkie, "Okay, Dom, or George or whatever. Tell [friend's name] to get off the walkie-talkie and put Dominique on." My friend and I was working with two other people and all four of us were looking at each other like, "Really?" Same friend also got in trouble for saying "there's vomit" over the walkie-talkie because God forbid a resident finds out. They want us to say, "We have a situation." Residents have actually complained about that phrase because it scares them but the student supervisors still won't let us not say it.

Oh, and my taxes got fucked up. I go to college in Wisconsin but all my legal documents say my permanent address is in Illinois. My building supervisor promised me they will take Illinois taxes out of my paycheck. They did last year and all went smoothly. But this year Illinois taxes were not taken out so now I owe the State of Illinois almost $250.

Residents also don't know how to read the signs we have everywhere. We tell them to throw their trash out and we have certain spots for all their dishes and trays. We walk into the room and everything is still a mess and the task takes longer than it should. Once a guy smirked at me and purposely messed up the entire rack, knowing I wasn't allowed to say anything to him. I complain to my friends and they tell me, "I mean. Isn't that your job though?" Thankfully my roommate stepped in and said, "Her job is to tidy up after all of you. Not be your mommy and daddy. At least be considerate." Remember, y'all: The dirtier something is, the more time we have to spend on it and the less time we have to get things done. The less time there is, the longer you're living in a dirty space.

I'm on a job hunt now because I'm pretty much done with this. The repetitiveness is boring me and I'm tired of the little things bothering me when they shouldn't. I can't quit because I need money and if I'm without a job then I'm without money. So I hope I find something. I was asking a few of my friends I work with what their opinion was and they agreed with me. We're all being irked by the little things and can't explain why we're so angry. I should probably bring this up to a student supervisor but I'm not sure how. I can't just go, "Y'all are pissing us off but we don't actually have reasons as to why." Many of my friends from last year aren't here this year because they quit for the same reasons.

I just hate this job so much and part of me feels bad for doing so. It's so easy but I'm just so done with it.
March 12th, 2017 at 02:05am