Annoying YA Tropes You Hate Seeing?

Current Song: Nothing
Currently Reading: The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood

Howdy.

I have a question and it's the title of this blog.

When I was about thirteen I wrote a story dealing with angels and whatnot and it was supposed to be a series. Never happened because life took me elsewhere. However, I found the document and I'm thinking about reviving it. But the original story is so cringey. Thirteen year old Dom put in every stereotypical trope you can think of. The character doesn't have parents, she's an outcast, now suddenly she's the heroine, etc. etc. etc.

So, what tropes do y'all hate seeing? I want this character to be original and not something everyone's read before. I already have ideas. She's still not going to have parents, but by that I mean biological (they died and their death is important to the story). She'll have foster parents (both a mom and dad. I believe another stereotype is that only one parent is constantly around and the other is never mentioned?). She'll have friends from the beginning and a few enemies here and there because it takes place in high school and we all hated at least one person during those years. I'm taking out the self-harming she does because thirteen year old Dom didn't do any research. Anything else I should keep in mind?

Y'all are the best!

Ciao a tutti!
March 18th, 2017 at 12:05am