Creating a Birthday Party from Scratch - Power Rangers Style

My daughter turned five at the end of April. We had planned on doing a mermaid theme party. I had started Pinning stuff on Pinterest like crazy. Then, she became hooked on Power Rangers. And not just any Power Rangers (there's like 20 seasons). She absolutely loves the old school, 1993, Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. She reversed gears on the party and asked for a MMPR party. Ok... sure we can do that. Back to trusty Pinterest for ideas. What did I find?

Nothing.

Everything was for the latest Dino Chargers or some crap. Absolutely nothing for MMPR. The strangest part is that the new MMPR movie just came out. Where is all the merch and party supplies for it? I ended up having to create my own stuff.

I was lucky to find an almost complete 3 inch figurine collection on ebay for the cake (for $12, or a dollar each. Plus shipping of course). I called several bakeries to discuss cakes, but no one could make the cake I wanted. So I decided to make it. I'm super crafty, but decorating a cake or cupcakes takes things to a whole new level. I decided on a simple white diamond surrounded by pink cupcakes. My daughter decided the party had to be a Pink Power Ranger party, because Kimberly and Kat are her favorite rangers. So with the white and pink cupcakes and the 12 figures, I had the cake part down.

I hand painted pink ranger shirts, one for me and one for my daughter. Her dad insisted that he had to be Tommy. I asked if he wanted to be Green Ranger Tommy, or White Ranger Tommy. Of course he had to be both. So I painted shirts for him to. He was supposed to walk around as the evil green ranger and have the kids beat him up, then change into the white ranger before we had cake.

I didn't want to go all out for decorations, this was a five year olds' party after all. I hung streamers in the doorway in power ranger colors and did square pink and white plates. Of course all the other party supplies were pink and white. We cooked hot dogs on the grill and had chips and dips. I made a fruit salad with green and purple grapes, strawberries, and pineapples for the ranger colors again. I also laid out a cheese/cracker/meat tray.

The party was supposed to take place outside and have a Power Rangers Training Camp obstacle course, but Mother Nature decided it was a perfect day for rain. I put on the original MMPR movie with Ivan Ooze. I had to invent some indoor games and quick. I made a toss game for the kids to win their ranger swords. Thank goodness for the dollar store and summer items coming out! I had a small hula hoop placed inside a larger one. The aim was to get the ridiculously bouncy foam dice inside the small hoop. It took longer than expected and was hilarious to watch. I also made a punch board out of Styrofoam bowls and ranger colored tissue paper. I hid the power coins in each bowl and the kids just had to punch through the tissue paper. I kind of ripped one of the bowl's paper, so some kid had it easy. I also found the coins on eBay. Someone makes replica cosplay morphin coins, and they were amazing!

While trying to show the shy kids what to do with the punch board, I got a bit carried away and knocked some stuff over.

We also have a music room in our basement, so this entertained the older kids we invited.

After collecting the foam swords and the power coins, the kids were officially power rangers!
For favors I did Power Rings (ring pops), Ranger Clay (play-doh), and more Ranger Swords (bubble wands).

It was a great party, and everyone had fun... I think. I didn't take many photos because I was so busy running around. You know, hosting. The photos I did take are available on my Instagram - clee2612

This is actually the first thing I have ever posted on here! Thanks for reading my rambling first blog!
May 8th, 2017 at 05:46pm