Movin' on Up

So, I'm getting another promotion at work. I start training to be a key manager this coming week and while I'm pretty excited for better money, I'm a little apprehensive about the whole more responsibility thing. I'll be training at the store I already work at which will be good for gas and support, but it'll make it hard to move into a position of authority since all of the other servers and hosts have come to know me as a server. I'm just gonna have to learn to out my foot down.

But the money is much needed. Honestly, I'm like, a mediocre server. I focus more on getting the food out fast and correctly rather than sitting and making small talk with my tables. It's mostly because I'm a little awkward; people don't really get my sense of humor. There've been a lot of times where I'll crack a joke and guest will just kind of stare at me in confusion, so I just... stopped doing it and because of that, I don't make as much money as the servers who can really finesse their tables. It's unfortunate, but I've learned to cope with it. I'm really just not a people person.

Transitioning into a management position means less small talk, though, so that'll work in my favor. I mean, of course I'll still have to talk to people. It just won't be as much. It'll just be me, like, checking on guests and enforcing our policies.

So yeah.

Anyway.

I've been talking with that guy a whole lot. It's weird meeting someone who I have sooooo much in common with. He feels so familiar even though I've only known him for a few weeks.

We went to see Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 the other night and it was so fucking good. 10/10 would recommend. The soundtrack isn't as good as the first one, but the plot is grade A. So we saw it. HE confessed to wanting to hold my hand the entire time which was really cute. He's really big on honesty. If he gets a thought stuck in his head that he's shy about sharing, it'll still eventually come out which I really admire because I'm the same way.

Afterward, we got a drink at a nearby bar and just talked. Then we sat in his car and listened to music (we didn't have to debate over what to listen to because we're into the same bands) and we talked for another two hours or so.

It's really cool because I can, like, show my ex-emo kid side. I can talk about all the concerts I used to go to and rave about the bands I listened to. Also, he's getting me back into that music. I've been listening to a lot of A7X and Atreyu and stuff which is really nice because I kind of pushed all of that aside when I was dating Coty. He said that the screaming gave him a headache. Whatever.

Also, we had gone to Think Geek on our last "date" and he saw me looking at a little 'Felix Felicis' model on display in a case. He went back a couple of days later and got it for me, saying he knew how stressed I am about this new position at work, so he figured I needed some extra luck to make me feel better. It was so sweet, but I am not used to guys giving me gifts. Like, at all. I've never gotten gifts from guys before.

Image

Adorable, right?

The only problem I could see is that he's a little clingy. It's something I feel I could get used to and something I do kind of like just because my ex was really emotionally distant, but still. I'm scared that I'll have a bad day and snap at him for asking what's wrong and how can he help and that sounds so terrible, but I really just think that it's 'cause I'm not used to this kind of attention.

But I like him. I like that he's so sweet and open. I like that we have so much in common. I think it could really go somewhere.

It'll interfere with my writing, though. So will the new job. It's way more hours than I'm working right now (ten more actually, so it won't be too terrible), but it means less writing time.

Other than that, life is pretty good.
May 18th, 2017 at 10:16am