My Top 5 Disney Films

Hello! I thought I'd do something fun and write down my top 5 Disney films and explain to you why these films matter to me as much as they do. Keep in mind this is all personal preference, and though this is my top 5 now, it has changed over time. The only films remaining promptly where they are, are my top 3, which hasn't changed in over 10 years. Now, without further ado, let me jump into these 5 films.

______________________________

[ NUMBER 5 ]


Image


Dinosaur was released May 19th 2000, which made me 11 at the time of its release. This film is very underappreciated in my opinion, as the graphics were way before it's time and the story is heart wrenching and heart warming at the same time. The story follows Aladar, a Iguanodon, who lives among lemurs. After their beloved island gets destroyed by a giant meteor, they have to face a new world and new challenges. That's about as basic an explanation I can give you.

What made Dinosaur special to me was the soundtrack created by James Newton Howard; this was the first soundtrack that didn't include lyrical songs but that I still listened to on a daily basis. When I listen to the soundtrack, I can tell you exactly what is happening in the film at that exact time. I can hear the songs and see the movie without it even being on. This still if my favorite none lyrical soundtrack to this day, which is why I place this film at number 5 in my top 5.

______________________________

[ NUMBER 4 ]


Image


Tangled comes in at number 4 on my list. Released 10 years after our previous entry, I was reluctant to give it a viewing. As somewhat of a Disney snob, which I have been called multiple times before, I didn't like this new version of animation and didn't feel the urge to sit myself down and struggle through 100 minutes of screen time. Now, I wish I sat myself down sooner. I remember being sick one day, scrolling through Netflix and putting on Tangled. I mainly selected the film so I could fall asleep during and it wouldn't be a big deal. Those 100 minutes, I laughed, cried, laughed again and sat at the edge of my seat like a 4 year old little girl.

Tangled gave me something that Frozen didn't: a story I could relate too. Stuck in her tower, wondering when her life will begin, we are introduced to a very timid and frightened Rapunzel. I won't go into to much detail as to why I can relate to this, but I can and it was because of this I was captivated from the get-go. Then they introduce Flynn Rider, who is now my favorite Disney prince, seriously, where have you been all my life. The songs are fun, upbeat and not overly in-your-face. I also really like that Mother Gothel is such a bad person, not just someone who is misunderstood, but actually bad! I love that in a villain. All in all, this is one of my go-to movies when I feel bored and need a pick me up.

______________________________

[ NUMBER 3 ]


Image


Now, here is where it gets tricky, because I never actually put the next three in any kind of order as they all have equal value to me. Still, out of all three of them, I'm simply placing The Lion King at number 3 because I know a lot of people put it at 1 and I don't want its ego to swell up even more and swallow this film whole, haha. The Lion King was released June 15th 1994, making me 4 at the time. I can't believe I was that young, give me a minute to pull myself together. It follows the story of lion cub Simba, who gets framed for the murder of his father Mufasa by his uncle Scar. I've been told it's basically Hamlet with lions, but I've never read Hamlet so I wouldn't know.

These were probably my favorite Disney songs, growing up. "I Can't Wait To Be King" and "Be Prepared" are still two of my favorite Disney jams, and I recall entering every talent show just so I could Lyp-sync to either of those songs. Can you imagine that Disney had no faith in the project, and that they were actually working on Pocahontas at the same time in case The Lion King would flop? CAN YOU IMAGINE!?!?! Anyhow, this film if probably where my love for Disney villains started, as Scar is my all time favorite bad guy. Jeremy Irons brings so much sass to the part and the way he's not brawn but brain makes him even more appealing in my book. Also, I had a major crush on Simba growing up, especially after his transition phase in Hakuna Matata. Seriously.

______________________________

[ NUMBER 2 ]


Image


These last remaining 2 films are battling it out in my mind, but here is my number 2: The Little Mermaid. I was actually born 2 days after the release of this film, which came out November 17th 1989. This film was Disney's last hope, as it would have to file for bankruptcy if it didn't succeed. Disney had gone through a string of commercial failures and this was it; their make or break moment. Luckily for all of us Disney fanatics out there, this movie ushered in a new Disney era we all know as the Disney Renaissance. The plot follows sixteen year old Ariel, daughter of the sea King Triton, who wants nothing more than to live among the humans on the land.

Now I'm very opinionated about this film, as I am sick and tired of people pointing out that Ariel left her entire family behind for a boy she only just met, when in fact you can tell she's been longing to live among the humans far longer than her crush on Eric existed. The fact that she sought out Ursula was because her father pushed her to do so, unwilling to understand his daughter desires. Her crush on Eric was basically harmless before Triton went in to destroy her precious collection. Now, growing up I always wanted to be a mermaid. I wanted the long red hair, I wanted the tail, I wanted the wide ocean. I am still fascinated by mermaids (cute or not cute, I don't care) and I think my fascination with red hair stems from this film as well. Ariel will forever be my ultimate role model and hopefully one day, I'll be able to get her tattooed on my arm.

______________________________

[ NUMBER 1 ]


Image


Here it is the moment you've been waiting for! Here it is you know exactly what's in store! If you got that, I applaud you. Anyway, presenting at number 1 of my top 5 Disney films: The Hunchback of Notre Dame. This film was released June 21st 1996 and all of us who love this movie should be glad it came out then. We all know full well that this Disney classic would've never been released under the strict guidelines that are currently in place. This is the Disney adaptation of Victor Hugo's original story under the same name. A book that was published in 1831 and housed some very dark topics. These same dark topics are in the film, though tweaked and polished to fit for a younger audience. Frollo's position, originally the archdeacon, was changed into Judge, as to avoid religious sensibility. Plus, the original scriptures had a lot more death in them than the Disney film, which isn't all that odd if you ask me.

The Hunchback of Notre Dame is a film I fell in love with once I was a bit older. At the date of its release, Claude Frollo scared me, which now that I look back at it isn't all that weird. The tone of the film is one very relatable to this day and age. The religious undertones, the fears of things unknown and the struggles of being accepted for who you are, are all theme's I think we can relate too. When asked why this film meant so much to me by my mother, I broke down and cried. I never once stopped to ask myself this question because it's one of the harder questions to answer: Why do you love the thing you love? I love this film because I can relate to Quasimodo, who's done nothing to deserve the life he was given. He was taught to believe that he was worthless and ugly by the person he saw as a father figure. He longs for a better life, unaware that he's deserving of this and in the end realizes that this cruel world he was taught to believe in, was only as cruel as it's biggest villain. I'm not sure if I explain this right, but I tried my best. Since I was bullied and taught that I was worthless and ugly by my peers, I longed for a better world.

What makes this film special to me as well, is the soundtrack. A film really often is only as good as it's soundtrack, and though many of these previously mentioned films have amazing soundtracks composed by amazing composers, Alan Menken outdid himself on this one. Starting with "The Bells of Notre Dame" which is probably the best introduction to a film ever. The way Paul Kandel voices Clopin in such a beautiful narrative, and the strength of his voice at the end when the bells start ringing, it's truly a master piece. We roll into songs such as "Out There" which send shivers down my spine every single time I listen to it. It is my favorite sing-a-long-song when it comes to Disney songs because of the raw emotions. "Topsy Turvy" and "Guy Like You" are fun little up tempo songs that keep you energized. "God Help the Outcasts" is heartbreaking, plus for me as a religious person myself, I cannot stand the way Esmeralda believes she has no place to believe in God as she's not from his church. Anyone can talk to God, believe in God, he's there for us all. "Court of Miracles" if perfect, though often overshadowed by the dark villain song it has to follow up. Again Paul Kandel his vocals are impressive and I love Clopin a lot!

However, and I really needed an extra paragraph for this, "Heavens Light/Hell Fire" is probably the song this film is most known for. Anyone who's even seen this film would've listened to that song and probably went "Damn, Disney. That's dark." Tony Jay who captures the dark essence of Frollo, brings such strong vocals to this song, it's almost as if you are in that room with Frollo as he's singing about his desire to be with Esmeralda and how his attraction to her is his biggest sin. I think we should all appreciate just how good that song actually is, and how lucky we've been to have heard such a song being spun from Disney as it would've never seen the light of day this time around. I really applaud the soundtrack of this film, as not only the songs buts the instrumental background compositions are brilliant, my favorite being "Sanctuary". Give it a listen, because it's absolutely brilliant.

This film has inspired me to go to Paris, climb up to stairs and stand at the top of the Notre Dame. I've stood there, watching over Paris as I listened to Out There. Just when the song finished, the bells started ringing and I cannot express how magical it was. Which is why this film had to be at number 1.

______________________________


Now, there are many films I haven't mentioned here that do deserve an honorable mention; Robin Hood which was my go-to film when I was sick and my grandparents from my mother's side were watching over me. The Rescuers: Down Under which my brother and I watched until the tape refused to play. The Great Mouse Detective which has this super strong opener and simply captured me from that moment forward. Inside Out which made me cry as it taught those who watched it that there could be no Joy without Sadness. Beauty and the Beast which almost made this top 5 as it's probably one of my favorite Disney Princess films. Belle inspired me to read and stand up for myself when it comes to things others found odd. Last but not least Nightmare Before Christmas as I was an emo child and that film was an absolute statement piece.

I hope you've enjoyed reading this, let me know what your top 5 is and why!
May 31st, 2017 at 11:23am